cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
stuartpatton

Please can you downgrade my router to the v237 firmware?

Hi Plusnet,

Please can you downgrade my router to the v237 firmware, and if possible do this overnight?

I've done considerable research into the problems with 5Ghz wifi that v263 is experiencing (all over the forums), and unless you have beta firmware that you believe fixes it (which I'm happy to test), I guess this is the only viable option, short of me buying a third-party VDSL router.

In all other respects, I'm happy with the service.

Thanks,

Stuart

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Please can you downgrade my router to the v237 firmware?

Moderators Note

Topics merged

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Kes1
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hello I'm a first time user to the community.
Our Hub One has been working with the bands split since we recived it last year.
Now absolutely nothing will connect to the 5 ghz channel. ( 3 Samsung android phones ,chrome book , HP laptop etc ).
Everytime we attempt to connect we get thrown back onto the 2.5 ghz. If we 'forget ' the 2.5 ghz , we end up with no WiFi connection at all.
The firmware ends with. 263 .Update date unknown.
We haven't done anything unusual. It suddenly happened by itself.
One of us is working from home due to covid ,one is trying to do school work. So all of us (4) are crowded onto the 2.4 ghz channel which is slow.
If its a firmware bug does the .273 update definitely work ?
I'm scared incase it makes the problem worse if it's in beta.
Thanks.
simoncrnfrth
Dabbler

Sorry Bob for not answering you back sooner. Up to today I haven't had anymore issues on 5Ghz. My router rebooted itself earlier so I'm not sure if that was to install the .281 firmware as I haven't rebooted the router myself. What's changed in the 281 Vs 280?
munchops

@bobpullen

My 5GHz isn't working. Rebooted. Have seperated 2.4 & 5 GHz.

I'm running..
Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 25/03/19

Can somebody downgrade my FW please?
westcoaster
Grafter

For info, if you want to check if your firmware has upgraded, browse to your Hub management web page e.g. https://192.168.1.254, click Troubleshooting > Event Log > then enter the password > now change "Category" drop down to "Boot".

You should see any firmware updates listed there.

androidtanmay
Grafter

I am as well on the 263 firmware and experiencing the 5.0 GHz band issues. I can be please upgraded/downgraded to a firmware which has shown stability and consistency of the 5.0 GHz band please.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Jason_MP @lyndaanna1654 @drprtr @Muffinboy13 @kempfamily @stuartpatton @Kes1 @munchops & androidtanmay - your devices have all had the update pushed to them.

You will need to reboot your routers though (switch them off/back on) in order to initiate the upgrade.

Let me know if it doesn't help (it should!)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@spacecadet wrote:

Don't know what your doing about this fault but  I have been using my old bt home hub one with out any issues at all  up till last week . Now im having the same problems of laptop losing wifi connection and ipads losing connection. Think you (plusnet have now managed to muck this router up  . WELL DONE .  As im currently having to work from home and need internet .I am now looking into contacting ombudsman as this whole situation is now beyond acceptable .

I'm not sure what you're inferring here? Huh

If you are still using your BT hub (note, that the BT HH5A is also susceptible to this issue), then I/Plusnet have no control over it whatsoever. Any updates that will have been applied to the device will have been initiated by BT's systems, not ours. 

The ombudsman can hardly blame Plusnet for the performance of a router that we didn't provide you with.

@penfold wrote:
Bob... Are the throughput / range issues being dealt with in another thread. I cannot find one, but happy to start one if if would help. 2.4ghz achieves 42mbps, 5ghz struggles to get 20. This is on a 55/10 profile...

Yes please, starting a new thread would be useful. There are a few avenues I'd like to explore and you may well be able to help with the investigation if you're able to get the router into the reduced throughput state fairly reliably.

@simoncrnfrth wrote:
Sorry Bob for not answering you back sooner. Up to today I haven't had anymore issues on 5Ghz. My router rebooted itself earlier so I'm not sure if that was to install the .281 firmware as I haven't rebooted the router myself. What's changed in the 281 Vs 280?

No worries, thanks for coming back to me. Have to hold my hands up, the reboot was likely me after noticing you were still running .280. The difference is a fix to a regressed issue (caused by legacy Kindle devices) that crept back in. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Lalabongo

Plusnet Hub One request for firmware upgrade - 5Ghz sessions dropping

Hi guys,

I would like to request a firmware upgrade please...

From what I have researched, older firmware has the issue of dropping out 5ghz wifi connected devices.

Tried all the usual suggestions... perhaps an upto date firmware might make a difference...

With all of the family at home now, and lots of multi-media streaming going on... we need to ensure accurate and secure links for all the home based devices...

current firmware - Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Help testing: I'm now looking for a more candidates who would be willing to try the .281 build. Ideally this should be people who encountered the 5GHz issue fairly frequently, but have since seen it resolved with the .273 firmware. You'll need to have been running .273 for a good week or two at least, so there's confidence that it has fixed your issue.

Caveat: If you end up encountering problems with .281 and we need to move you back, it will result in a factory reset. This will wipe any changes you have made to things like Wi-Fi network names/passwords/port-forwarding rules etc. and restore the device to off-the-shelf values.

Interested? If you don't mind helping out then please drop me a private message and we'll take it from there. Thanks Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

stuartpatton

Hi @bobpullen 

Many thanks, I've just upgraded and reverted by 5Ghz SSID back to the same as the 2.4Ghz SSID.  I'll keep you posted.

Out of curiosity, if my throughput has been downgraded as a result of continual reboots trying to resolve this, is there any way I can get the line put back to the learning/training state like it is on day 0 of install?

Thanks,
Stuart

Kes1
Dabbler

Thanks ! Bobpullen. It worked !
The Hub management Web page still shows them firmware as .263 though. Is this normal ?
drprtr

Many thanks Bob. I'll let you know how it goes.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Kes1 - not normal. I'll take another look at your router tomorrow. The fact the reboot cured it does suggest it's this problem you're suffering from though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team