cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Bradders1

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@bobpullen I would appear to be having the same dropped WiFi/ "connected, no internet" issues as others have been reporting on this thread, which has been a nightmare the past couple of weeks working from home. I called technical support yesterday and they weren't very forthcoming/aware about the firmware issue. I had already separated 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals but it didn't help, and periodically get a load of "Client disassociated" entries on the event log showing the issues the router is having. I would be extremely grateful if you could push the firmware upgrade to my hub one, which is currently running 4.7.5.1.83.8.259. Thanks very much in advance! You seem to be a bit of a lone soldier, keep up the good work!
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Nor exactly the same thing.... Router has been fine since the experimental firmware applied, and no issues of connection with the 5ghz network connection but.......  My son noted that his phone keeps losing with, and reverting to 4G. He was connected to the 5ghz network. Checked the other devices on the 5ghz and they were all connected. I moved him to the 2.5ghz, and he's happy. Did some checking, with wi-fi analyser, and the 5ghz signal was poor in his room . We have a standard semi detached, router at front of house, son's room upstairs at the back. Even near the router the signal on the analyser struggles to get in the green, and in my son's room its almost in the grey, around -90db. Next to router approx -50db. Is this related or just the hub 1 giving poor 5ghz range.

cshields
Dabbler

Just to echo what other people have said - the 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 beta firmware seems to have completely fixed the issue without the need to seperate the channel SSIDs. The "Last updated 20/02/19" is wrong, I assume this is just the date embedded within the firmware and it hasn't been updated in the beta version. Thanks @bobpullen!

AndyinBrum
Dabbler

@bobpullen Is part of the firmware to drop the 5GHz for a bit overnight? Ive noticed that when i wake up my phone has moved back to the 2.4ghz channel, But will connect straight to the 5ghz when i go into settings and click on it (Iphone 8Plus up to date ios)  

Simonsimps
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Mine is still fine thanks.

I split my network onto the 5ghz. I put the more demanding things on the 5ghz like 3 chromecasts, 2 tv's and 2 pixel 2xl's.

Kept the lower demand stuff like nest home mini's, kids phone,printer etc on the 2.4ghz to really test it.

Looking good so far. 👍

Edit* at few notes. My firmware date is not correct like mentioned but I presume that is because it's beta.

My phone connects straight to 5ghz after reconnecting after coming back in the house. I have been checking to see which it connects too.

arturhoo

Hey Bob, could you kindly push this update to my router as well? Thanks,

lucylucylucy
Hooked

Hi same problem here, been happening for months now since before Christmas. Have tried all the workarounds in the first post apart from trying a different router. Turning off 5GHz worked for a couple of days but the same problem with the connection dropping started again. Can I try the router update - how do I get that? 

sallonoroff
Rising Star

Just wanted to echo that I have seen this issue but it's not currently a problem for me as renaming the 5GHz band appears to have fixed it for now.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Sometime earlier in the year, devices stopped being able to connect to the 5Ghz channel (presenting as a refusal to authenticate.)

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

Hub looks normal, devices just won't connect to the 5GHz channel (they had previously). All connect to the 2.4GHz without a problem.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

The channels are split and have been so for years (in order to accomodate an older Mac which doesn't like the 5Ghz apparently). The problem was only with 5GHz.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Has been persistant since issue first started. Nothing would connect to 5GHz.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

Untested.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Never tried rebooting to remedy this issue as 2.4GHz channel was always working ok. I have presently fixed it by renaming the 5GHz channel again (I think - unless it was just a reboot that did it!)

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

iPhone (iOS 13.x.x), iPad (iOS 12.4.5) and Samsung TV known to have failed to connect to 5GHz.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

Possibly but was not monitoring for the issue.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

12+ end user devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac, Windows laptop,TV, PS4, etc) connecting by wifi to the Plusnet Hub, no other networking equipment (switches, access points, etc) in the house. Was originally putting half of devices on 2.4GHz and half on 5GHz but lately had to have everything connect to 2.4GHz.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@islwynll547st @winteraj @Bradders1 @arturhoo @lucylucylucy - I've pushed an update to your routers. They will have rebooted so sorry if I interrupted anything you were in the middle of.

@sallonoroff I don't seem to be able to communicate with your router. Is it still online?

@SteveA wrote:

Bob - can I ask that you don't push the fix to my router without checking first? My wife is working 8am to 8pm on a 4 on, 4 off rota in Social Services so we don't want the router doing anything unexpected unless it can't be helped.

Noted. If you'd like me to do this, then let me know a day she's off and I'll aim to push the update then.

@penfold wrote:

Did some checking, with wi-fi analyser, and the 5ghz signal was poor in his room . We have a standard semi detached, router at front of house, son's room upstairs at the back. Even near the router the signal on the analyser struggles to get in the green, and in my son's room its almost in the grey, around -90db. Next to router approx -50db. Is this related or just the hub 1 giving poor 5ghz range.

Unlikey to be related. Worth noting that 50dB is a pretty healthy signal strength though.

@AndyinBrum wrote:

@bobpullen Is part of the firmware to drop the 5GHz for a bit overnight? Ive noticed that when i wake up my phone has moved back to the 2.4ghz channel, But will connect straight to the 5ghz when i go into settings and click on it (Iphone 8Plus up to date ios)  

No, that's not an intended behaviour of the router (at least I don't think it is). It smells to me like a power-saving feature within iOS. There's evidence following some Google-Fu that suggests this is probably the case.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

sallonoroff
Rising Star

@bobpullen wrote:

@sallonoroff I don't seem to be able to communicate with your router. Is it still online?

@bobpullen Hi Bob, yes it's online - using connection to post this - but i am having an issue with the connection at present (reason i originally came on the forum today!). I thought it was to do with DNS servers but if you can't see the router then maybe it's something else...?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@sallonoroff can you reboot the hub again for me please? Note that one of your broadband drops yesterday will have been me trying to kick things back into life (around 4pm).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

sallonoroff
Rising Star

@bobpullen I need the router working for the time-being, but will reboot it at noon today for you...

jamieandliz

Hi Bob, would you mind pushing the update for my router too please? I've been having problems since January and I've been tearing my hair out trying to get it fixed which is made worse but the current situation. A factory reset works for maybe up to a couple of days max but then the problems return. I've linked this thread to the plusnet agent dealing with my issue but the basic tests they are asking me to run haven't helped at all. Many thanks for your help.

sallonoroff
Rising Star

Bob, I restarted the Hub One at around 12:10 today. Let me know if/when you need anything else from me.

markangeltruema
Dabbler

@bobpullen amazingly, my internet connection has been stable today. Do you want to try pushing the firmware again?