cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
GreenWindmill

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Thanks Bob, will let you know how we get on.
tandemfans

Hi Bob, Many thanks for the prompt action. All updated and 5ghz switched on and devices connected. No shouts of frustration from Ali yet so fingers crossed. Thanks for the help

docsubaru
Hooked

Thanks-- I will let you know if it resolves the issue

tashbandicoot

Hi Bob, 

I believe we've been experiencing this issue. I'd be grateful if you could push the firmware update to our router.

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
All devices on the 5GHz are suddenly not able to connect to the internet. A restart of the router briefly resolves the problem, but it comes back in a few hours.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
Devices show they are connected to the hub but state no internet connection, and the 5GHz still shows shows as a network available to connect to. The indicator on the hub stays blue the whole time. 

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
They are split and have different names. The 2.4GHz is working fine, we only have this issue with 5GHz.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? It is resolved by rebooting the router but only for a few hours then it happens again. No devices wired to router. 

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] No, it seems to happen randomly

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Yes, a few hours later the issue is back.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.  

All devices affected: Lenovo Yoga 7i 14" on Windows 10, Huawei P10 running EMUI 9.1.0, Moto G5 Plus running Android 8.1.0, Nintendo Switch, Macbook Pro 2017 13" running Catalina, Chromecast 2nd gen, Dynabook laptop running Windows 10, iPhone 11 running iOS 14.4.2

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. 

No additional switches, powerline adapters or wireless access points. Devices listed above are the ones used on the wifi network. 

BishUK

Hi Bob

My current software version is: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Thanks.

1 Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

No devices connect to 5Ghz. If I view the Hub Manager it shows no devices connected to 5Ghz. and mobile phones frequently can't connect to 2.5 Ghz either.

2 Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

Hub status is normal and the devices that fail to connect are not shown.

3 Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

The channels are in the default merged setting.

4 Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

The problem seems to be all the time. I have 3 wired devices, Mac Mini M1, Xbox Series X & a Philips Hue Bridge

5 Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] 

It seems to be a permanent problem.

6 Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? 

A reboot solves the issue but this lasts a matter of a few minutes before the 5Ghz stops working

7 If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

All devices fail to connect to 5Ghz and our 2 mobile phones struggle even on 2.5 Ghz

8 Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No

9 Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

No switches, adapters etc.

Wired:

Mac Mini M1, Xbox Series X & Philips Hue Bridge

Wifi:

Pixel 5 phone, Samsung S21+ Phone, Sky Q, Oppo 4k Blu Ray, Samsung TV, Amazon Echo, Amazon Echo Dot, Smart Plug, Nintendo Switch, Chromebook, Epsom Printer. Marantz AV amp.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Duplicate post released from Spam Filter and subsequently removed..
oily
Hooked

Thanks for trying to push the update @bobpullen to my router,I'm currently using my Technicolor DWA 0120 router(I'm awaiting a replacement plusnet router) I used with Shell Broadband which is working flawlessly so I'm a bit wary of switching back to something that may or may not work properly. 

PN1601

I am a new customer and believe that I am also having this issue. Would appreciate the firmware update to resolve this problem.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Dropped wifi connection, unable to reconnect despite network being visible, 'authentication error' on phone. Happens every day, multiple times per day.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Hub status indicator remains normal/blue during the problem. Other devices (connected to 2.4GHz channel) remain working fine, no loss of connection.
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Default setting, merged.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Persistent, only fixed by restarting router. No devices wired to router.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No clear trigger.
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes, seems to be. Variable but can be as little as an hour before problems recur. Have had to restart router multiple times per day.
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Phone (OnePlus 6T running Android 10) seems to be affected the most.
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No.
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    No additional switches/adapters/wireless access points. Current setup is 2.4 GHz: MacBook Pro, Chromecast. 5 GHz: OnePlus6T, Google Nest Mini, Google Nest Hub.

Thanks.

marksp
Hooked

We've had this issue for a while, but it's only recently become an issue as we've tried remote streaming, which is asking for 5ghz (which isn't working).

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
We can connect to the 5ghz wifi signal, but that refuses to connect to the internet. It then drops the connection.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
The 5ghz connection stays observable, just no internet then dropping out. The hub keeps the blue indicator throughout.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
They are split with different names. 2.4GHz works fine, we only have this issue with 5GHz.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? It's persistent.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] No, just stops if corrected by resseting hub.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Yes, a couple of hours later to several hours later.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.  

Lenovo ideapad, PS4 and Pixel 5 phone all impacted.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. 

One powerline adaptor to a single outpue- Xbox Series S.

If we could get the firmware update that would be fantastic. Thanks.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@tashbandicoot @BishUK @PN1601 & @marksp - I have just pushed an update to your routers. Please switch them off/back on to apply it.

Note that this is a slightly newer build - version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.1, so I'm very keen to know whether or not you encounter any problems. Please let me know how you get on.

In way of a general update:-

The mass firmware deployment has been set back a couple of months, so whilst I originally anticipated we'd be done in month or so, it's now likely to be the Summer by the time the update has reached everybody. I know this is frustrating, but please be assured that every effort is being made to resolve the issues that some customers are experiencing, - without folk having to request reactive software updates as is happening in this thread.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stevekelly74
Hooked

@bobpullen 

Hi Bob...back on the 26th of October last year you updated my router from the .263 firmware to the .273 firmware after I reported problems on this discussion regarding the 5ghz issue. Whilst the upgrade made a definite improvement and stopped the constant/regular dropouts and disconnects I was experiencing on the 5ghz band, I still seem to be experiencing some issues.

I've noticed my iphone which is always connected to the 5ghz wifi channel when I'm at home sometimes sends through surges of whatsapp and signal messenger messages all at the same time. It's as if my phone isn't getting an internet connection and then suddenly does, and a flurry of messages come through at the same time. When I check with the senders they usually inform me the messages were sent about an hour previous. This can be a bit of a problem for me as I'm quite reliant on these messages when working from home. It happens to both whatsapp and signal apps so that probably eliminates the cause being an issue with a specific app. I also notice when using the phone that other apps sometimes complain that there's no internet connection.

My Lenovo laptop also intermittently still has an issue when it's connected to the 5ghz SSID (I have split the 2.4 and 5ghz into separate SSID's) where again it complains that there's no internet connection. As I say it's not as bad as it was when I was on the .263 firmware, and the .273 upgrade definitely improved things, but not completely. I notice from the latest posts in this thread that you're now updating people to a .289 firmware. Do you think there would be any benefit in me receiving this new firmware build that might help improve the issues I'm still experiencing?

Thanks in advance for the assistance - Steve

BishUK

@bobpullen  Thanks for your help, router now updated to version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.1 

After a couple of hours 5Ghz is still working with 2 devices showing as currently connected to it so already an improvement. I'll monitor the situation over the next day or 2. Thanks again.

tashbandicoot

Thank you so much @bobpullen  for such a swift response!

I have just restarted our hub, the software version is now 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.1 and devices are connected to 5GHz - will report back here after a few days. 

babylon5

thank you @bobpullen

I really appreciate your help and efforts!

I can confirm that my router is now on version 289. I've checked my home network once again and it looks like most of my devices switched to 2.4 (I suppose it happened when I turned off 5Ghz completely). I split 2.4 and 5GHz network to keep an eye on which devices have issues. To be more specific: now one laptop uses exclusively 2.4GHz and another uses 5GHz.

What I've started noticing with the new update is that my smart tv sometimes have issues with streaming 4k videos. I suppose this may be limitations of 2.4Ghz and I switched it to 5Ghz to check this theory.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

The last week was tough when I had a very hard network usage and frequent drop outs right in the middle of code deploying procedures for a huge company. You can't be more helpless in the moments like this.

fb93

Hi there, 

Been a plusnet customer for almost a year now and been struggling with the wifi most of this time, only just figured out it was only the wifi and not the entire connection. Please can I get the firmware fix that I've read about in the most recent replies in this thread.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Internet drops on wifi devices, sometimes wifi stays connected, sometimes it drops and won't reconnect, often saying I have the incorrect password.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Sometimes the devices appears to be connected but not always, hub indicator is normal/blue.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    They're merged.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Tv is wired to the router and is unaffected.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No reliable reproduction steps.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Yes, a few days.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    iPhones and MacBook.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    Fairly standard set up, no additional switches/adapters/access points. TV and Hue hub only wired connections. Various iPhones, iPads and MacBooks connected via Wifi, plus HomePod mini and hue accessories (lightbulbs, plug, switches/buttons). 
PN1601

@bobpullen its been 24 hours and so far so good. Thanks for your help!