Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
wildbill01

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi Bob,

Please can I get the firmware update?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Devices are connected to Wifi but lose internet connection. Particularly seen with Amazon Fire Stick which will be working ok. Then if it is left for a while will lose the internet connection. If I drop the 5GHz connection, connect to the 2.4 GHz connection then reconnect to the 5Ghz connection, then everything works again. Also Amazon Echo Dot will be connected but unable to do anything unless the power is cycled and it reconnects to the WiFi. 
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Hub always reporting fine - blue indicator

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Split - the problem only affects the 5GHz connection

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    The issue with the Amazon Firestick happens every day after it has not been used for a few hours. I have multiple devices wired to the router: an Ethernet over power connection and an Ethernet Switch at the end of a long Cat-6 cable. Attached to the network switch is a Lightwave Hub and Western Digital 2TB NAS drive. They are not affected.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No - only waiting for it to happen

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    I never reboot the hub, disconnecting and reconnecting the 5GHz connection seems to resolve it

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    No - happens across device types 
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    They've all recieved regular patch updates so not linked

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    I have multiple devices wired to the router: an Ethernet over power connection which is used for a physical laptop connection in another room. There is an Ethernet Switch at the end of a long Cat-6 cable. Attached to the network switch is a Lightwave Hub and Western Digital 2TB NAS drive. 4 Android phones, 3 laptops and various tablets use the WiFi connection.
jochapple

Hi @bobpullen 

can you please push the firmware update to our router when you have time.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Broadband connection will remain up but loss of internet connectivity through wi-fi presents. was occuring somewhat infrequently but over past month or two the frequency has been increasing. has required router reboot nearly every day this past week, yesterday more than once. 

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

items show as connected for most part, ps4 will sometimes say invalid password even when connection was already made. occassionally will get an orange light but think that is unrelated to main issue and is just an infrequent disconnection. usually the light is blue even when connectivity is lost. 

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

merged. 

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

no wired devices. issue will persist until router is restarted manually. 

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

not reliably. but it could correllate with waking my macbook pro which runs windows 10 in bootcamp from sleep mode as often the connection will be down first thing in the morning. it's not every single time though. also could be confirmation bias as waking the machine is always going to have issues if the connection dropped while it was sleeping. connection is sometimes also lost while using the machine.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

yes a reboot will always resolve the issue, issue is usually fixed until next day but can recur within a few hours as well, especially in past week or two.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

all devices are affected 

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

no, i frequently patch/update devices but the issue cant be linked to any specific one.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

single plusnet hub one router. all devices connected to wi-fi.

1x PS4 pro
    1x Macbook pro (os x / win 10 dual boot)
    1x ipad pro
    2x android phones
    1x toshiba smart tv
    1x lg tv with wireless dongle
    1x roku media stick
    2x elgato stream lights with wi-fi connectivity
    2x google nest mini

thanks for your assistance in hopefully resolving this issue.
hadyn

Hi 

please can I get the upgrade as well. Answers below

SIGN INTO 5G WIFI, BUT NO INTERNET ACCESS AVAILABLE. 2.4g WORKS FINE, FOR ALL DEVICES (EXCEPT MY RASPBERRY PI, WHICH NOW HAS A DRIVER CRASH EVERY 2 MINUTES CONNECTED TO HUB-ONE 2.4g WIFI.  RPi WAS WORKING FOR >2YEARS NO PROBLEM WITH MY PREVIOUS ROUTER...).

1. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

DEVICES WORKING FINE ON MY WORK 5G, AND LIGHT IS ALWAYS BLUE

1. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

NAMED DIFFERENTLY. i'VE CHANGED 5g TO PLUSNET-5G  2.4ghZ IS THE DEFAULT NAME

1. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

yES 5g PROBLEM IS PERSISTENT. WIRED DEVICES WORKING FINE.

1. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

YES, CONNECT TO 5G WIFI

1. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

NO , NO INTERNET ACCESS .

1. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

APPLE IPHONE 10XS,  AND SAMSUNG GALAXY S7

1. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

THE FAILURE STARTED WHEN i STARTED USING HUBONE ROUTER. NO PATCHES OR OTHER CHANGES AT THE SAME TIME.

1. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

PLUSNET ROUTER, NUMBER OF DEVICES ATTACHED TO 2.4g (LAPTOPS, TABLETS, MOBILES , rASPBERRY pI) ,  AND nas ATTACHED VIA CAT6 ETHERNET CABLE.   i'VE NOT CONNECTED THE PRINTER YET.

ONLY HAD THE PLUSNET HUBONE FOR 24 HOURS.

PLEASE CAN i TRY THE fw UPDATE TO SEE IF IT FIXES THE 5g ISSUE.  aLSO WOULD BE GOOD TO UNDERSTAND WHY MY rASPBERRY pI IS NOW CRASHING WHEN CONNECTING TO THE HUBONE. PREVIOUSLY HAVE USED TALKTALK ROUTER, AND BILLION ROUTER AND NO PROBLEMS. rASPBERRY pI HASN'T BEEN UPDATED FOR MONTHS/YEARS.

THANKS,hADYN

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @hadyn  If you read through the other posts you will notice how to make a request. Your brief description really is not brief, less capitals as that indicates shouting and I am sure all will be fine.

Aikidokajeff

Hi Bob,
I'm happy to find this thread - seems like there are plenty of us with this issue.

To answer your questions:

1. 2.4Ghz band is very slow, symptomatic of channel congestion - Likely due to higher usage of 2.4Ghz while in lockdown
    2. Nightly the 5Ghz band is "difficult" to join from my Macbook Air - I use it in the evening. Rebooting the Macbook 1 out of 10 times allow me to join the 5Ghz WiFi. Using the refresh wireless button or manually changing the 5Ghz channel almost always allow me to join within a few seconds. 
    1. The devices do not appear connected and continually attempt to join the network.
    1. The channels are not merged - there is a know bug with Macbooks not liking merged 2.4Ghz/5Ghz
    2. Problem only occurs on 5Ghz
    1. No wired devices are affected.
    2. Once it occurs I'm almost unable to connect to 5Ghz until changing the channel or using the refresh Wireless button.
    1. It mostly happens with my Macbook Air, 8/10 times waking from sleep, 2/10 from a fresh boot, I would say it's more likely to happen when waking from sleep vs fresh boot. (disabling WiFi on the Macbook multiple times failed to help)
    1. I try to avoid rebooting but sometimes it's the only option bar smashing the router... 
    2. Almost always I fix it with a channel change or clicking "refresh wireless button".
    1. Macbook Air, 2011 model. High Serra 10.13.6
    2. Gemini from Planet - Android 
    3. Fire stick - I can't remember the version right now.
    1. They have not
    1. Plusnet Hub one: Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 27/01/19
    2. Several unmanaged switches.
    3. 4 powerline adapters
    4. No extra Wireless access points.
    5. There are a lot of devices connected, most are wired or using 2.4Ghz to avoid this issue.

I will endeavour to get some Wireshark logs to go with this.

If there is anything else I can get for you @bobpullen then please ask.

I believe I would benefit from the latest Firmware but if there is more information I can gather before an update just let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff 

jamesjoc1971
Dabbler

@bobpullen may I also request a firmware update please? My Hub Serial number is +081441+NQ84579036

Devices are connected to Wi-Fi then lose internet connection. Amazon Fire Stick was what made me aware that Wi-Fi had dropped out. 
    Hub always blue

Split - the problem only affects the 5GHz connection

Initially, I thought that it was the Firestick playing up. Tried to reconnect, but it would not connect. Ethernet connections are not affected.

No

Usually reboot the hub. Did a factory reset in the hope that it would resolve. No Wi-Fi for an hour while I was trying to find the reason for the drop out

No - happens across device types 
    Only issues seem to connecting to 5Ghz

SkyQ, apple Tv and Blu Ray Player all connected to router. Cable to Powerline that connects the home PC and company Laptop in home office. 2 x iPhone, 1x Company phone, Firestick, Echo, Google speaker and Sonos all connected to Wi-Fi.

Hope that is all that you need to push the latest firmware over to my Hub.

Thanks

delboy73
Hooked

Hi. Yes, I believe so. It's now been 8 days since I received the firmware update from Bob Pullen, and so far my 5GHz download speed has stayed constant without dropping over 50%. Fingers crossed!  Hope you get yours fixed.

ProfJohnC
Dabbler

Thanks @delboy73 - I've changed my 5G channel to 44 to see if that makes a difference (instead of 48). It's been ok for a few days now but usually slows down after several days. I'm got a BT Home Hub 6 in its way after reading the other posts here so will likely switch to that if it drops again. 

Danny1976

Hi @bobpullen ,

Please can I have the firmware update? My router currently has the .263 version.

Devices connected to the wifi lose internet connection
    Hub always reporting fine - blue indicator
    I have split the channels. Problems only affect 5GHz.
    Yes, it is persistent. I have several devices wired to the router and they are not affected.
    It is intermittent and so far I don't know what triggers it.
    Generally I would say yes. But the problem starts on average a couple of hours after a reboot.
    Can't confirm but most noticeable on an iPhone 5 running iOS12
    Regular updates at least as far as iOS12 goes
    I have a Netgear 8 port switch connected to the router. Directly connected to the switch are several devices including a Synology NAS, MacBook, Samsung TV and a YouView box. I also have a PowerLine adapter connected to the router - the other end connected to a Swann CCTV DVR. There are several phones and laptops connected to the Wifi. The router is located in close proximity to the mains fuse box and smart metre if that helps.
DaveCollier

HI @bobpullen 

Just discovered this thread when trying to diagnose this issue myself 🙂  Can my router fw be updated as well, currently on .263 version.

Many thanks!

Occasionally, only on some devices on 5GHz wifi (laptops).  DHCP lease has been extended to 28 days since I got the router.
    Connected, no internet.  Hub appears normal.
    Merged, only appears to be 5GHz devices
    Wired devices and 2.4GHz devices appear OK.  I think some devices drop down to 2.4 automatically, hence appear to carry on.
    No
    A few weeks, probably due to DHCP lease?
    Mainly notice on Windows 10 laptops
    No
  10. Around 20 various devices, including laptops, desktops, Amazon devies, TV and TV streamers, smart plugs, phones, tado, all on a mixture of 2.4, 5 and wired direct or via PowerLine

Munkyfaz

Hi @bobpullen

Could request a firmware update 

My 2011 Macbook Pro running High Sierra struggles to connect to the my wifi network , although it knows the password it keeps asking for it again and even when i put it in it then tells me it's invalid. This happens over and over and over until suddenly sometimes if I just leave it alone for a while it will connect of its own accord. It occasionally connects first time when the computer has been closed or asleep but there's no reliable way to overcome the issue. I have now switched off the 5Ghz and it seems to be connecting ok first time every time.  I am also using an HP laptop two other iphones and an apple tv and homepod none of which seem to have any issue connecting.
    Doesn't seem to be any association with the hub the light is blue and all the other devices I have connect fine.

The router is set to its default settings.

As above yes it' persistent but only recently started happening.  Its not impacting any other devices.

No real pattern other than that occasionally putting the computer to sleep and waking it up will make it connect but that doesn't always work.

Rebooting the hub doesn't really seem to make much difference .

Model Identifier:    MacBookPro8,1 13 inch (late 2011)
    Operating System: OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
    Unsure but seems to have started only in the last couple of months
    I have the Plusnet Hub One with Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 which is connected via ethernet to a Airport Express , there is one additional Aiport Express extending the network to the bedroom . Devices using the network are a Samsung smart tv, Apple tv, Apple Homepod , 2 iphones a Macbook Pro and HP laptop .
GraemeR

Morning Bob - - you seem to be very popular 😊

Just discovered this thread when trying to diagnose this issue myself - bit disappointing that this issue has been known about for so long but we are where we are

Can I ask you to deploy the new S/W to my router - currently on .263.

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
Wifi drops out on apple devices and laptop.  Kindle appears to be OK.  Wired devices work find.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
Hub appears normal.  No wifi on devices.  Forget and reconnect results in an incorrect password message - even when shared from other device

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
Currently Merged 

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
Wired devices appear OK. Only fix is a re boot of router

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
No

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
2 days before fault returned

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version

Kindle Fire seems ok

Apple 6 and XR (IOS v14.2) and Lenovo Thinkpad running W10 cant connect (Thinkpad ok if wired).

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
Not that I can recall but updates are automatically delivered 

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Around 15 various devices, including laptops, desktops, Amazon devices, ROKU via wifi.  TV, Xbox PC, HP printer wired via solwise powerline adapters

Thanks in advance

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@pinkbinx @pazimw1 @Jbeecheyuk @Daemon @wtc @wildbill01 @jochapple @hadyn @Aikidokajeff & @jamesjoc1971 - I've just pushed an update to you respective devices.

You'll need to power off/back on at your side to apply the update.

Hope it helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Danny1976 @DaveCollier @Munkyfaz & @GraemeR - same. You'll need to power off/back-on to apply the update.

@helpme147 - I'm having difficulty locating your account so can you drop me a private message containing your username and device serial number please?

@stilsed - I've updated your router too (again, you'll need to switch off/back on), however I'm not sure your symptoms quite match the problem being discussed. let me know if you continue to experience problems.

@supernoodles wrote:

Hey Bob i got the update .289 that you pushed to fix both the wifi breaking and throughput issue but!

A new issue seems to have appeared where randomly it will say "wifi has no connectivity" kinda like the original issue with the wifi dying completely.

Now after about 1 minute or so it fixes itself so not sure what causes that tbh.

Is this still happening? 

If you look at the network map in the router settings - are you able to tell whether or not it affects 2.4GHz device, 5GHz devices, or both?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Aikidokajeff

Thanks @bobpullen - I've rebooted and so far so good.

I'll keep an eye on things and report back. I'm keeping my wireshark logs in case they're of use at some point.

Thanks, have a good weekend.

Jeff