Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@wmliu - update pushed. You'll need to restart your router to apply it.

@bertmay - you are already running the latest firmware so you shouldn't be having any problems with the 5GHz network. You might want to consider re-enabling the 5GHz radio but renaming it. This will give you two separate Wi-Fi networks and you can then choose which each device connects to.

2.4GHz is better from a range perspective but it's nowhere near as quick and is much more susceptible to interference.

The Technicolor does not have a 5GHz radio so none of this will ever have been a consideration.

Very keen to understand if you're having issues with the later firmware that you weren't suffering before because as mentioned - things should be much better now?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bertmay
Grafter

Thanks,

I've still got the 5GHz disabled, I would need a step by step guide to re-enable & split the wi-fi bands & designate which devices to the separate bands, if that makes any sense to you.

Only had the router for one month & on fibre since the end of June.

One other odd thing happened during the past week, The laptop, with a wired connection, said it had no connection to the internet, connect cable. As I had not touched anything it was a puzzle. I unplugged the LAN cable from the laptop & re-inserted, no difference, went to the router, unplugged from one socket & plugged it into a different one, laptop said connected, that's the way it is now. I think it was that day I realized the wi-fi was playing up, I shall have to start a diary about this.

Mitchjc123
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen
Overall the update has been much much more consistent and a vast improvement - however over the past few days we have noticed dropout on mobile devices - says it’s still connected to the WiFi but nothing loads and says not connected to internet. This seems to be the same whether we’re next to the router or other parts of the house. Usually rights itself within a few mins, but I usually end up disabling WiFi on my iPhone, using 4g for as long as possible then going back to WiFi later on.

Not sure if there’s a log or something you can check from our router - overall seems much better though!
MaiB
Dabbler

Just an update on using the latest version ..Having had a better weekend with the upgrade I have now lost connection again while the blue light stays on.  I used the network troubleshooter which diagnosed and fixed this - yet again the diagnosis being "WiFi doesnt have a valid IP configuration".  This is one of the errors that caused the issue before the upgrade too.  It is fixed very quickly without all the fuss of a restart.  It seems that wifi is connected and working with a valid configuration for a while then suddenly it becomes invalid while nothing has changed here.

metalligator
Dabbler

I am having a lot of issues with 5GHz Wifi on my hub one, disconnects, struggles to reconnect, a restart has helped once but seems to be getting worse, 2.4Ghz works but would prefer 5Ghz, any chance I can get the later firmware?

thecrius
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hello, i've directed here from https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/Fibre/message-id/124709

I've issues with the WiFi frequently disconnecting, both 5Ghz and 2.4ghz. What should I do to be eligible for a firmware update?

Jiffyuk
Dabbler

@bobpullen. You asked me to keep a log of times when devices would not connect.

Came home from work. My phone Samsung a12 tried connecting to WiFi. Would not connect and got the could not obtain ip address error. This was today at 5.40pm ish. Rebooted phone. Still same error. Took screenshots of phone trying to connect if needed. Checked other devices in the house to see if Internet working. All devices working, Mrs Huawei phone, daughters Huawei phone, other daughters laptop, alexa working as asked it about the weather and told me.

Reset router at 5.53pm and turned back on about ten minutes later (I forgot to turn it back on as dinner was ready). My phone connected straight away along with other devices.

The Mrs has had disconnections since my last post but forgot to log time and date. Doh.

Clearly there is still some issue in the new firmware but it is not happening as frequent as it did before firmware update.
davidcargill

Hi @bobpullen - we've had the issue with the 5GHz band since November 2020 and have had 5GHz disabled since then in the hope that we'd receive the updated firmware automatically, since the new version does seem to be working for people.

We're still on firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 at present, however, and as you know the 2.4GHz band only supports slower connection speeds, so it's not an ideal workaround.  Could you please push the new firmware out to our router, and I'll renable the 5GHz band?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@metalligator & @davidcargill - I've pushed the update to both of your devices. You'll need to reboot your hubs to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Mitchjc123 - don't supposed you've noticed if your problems are 2.4ghz, 5ghz or both? If you can provide a few timestamps of times when the Wi-Fi failed then I can see if it correlates with anything in the logs. It would also be useful to know whether or not you can access the router interface at http://192.168.1.254 from an affected device when the problem occurs?

@MaiB - can you confirm that you have no other Wi-Fi extenders/access points on your network? If you haven't done so already, it may be an idea to try factory resetting your hub by inserting something into the pinhole at the rear of the device until the status light flashes green.

@thecrius - replied to your other thread.

@Jiffyuk - thanks, factory reset might be an idea in your case too. Unlikely to help, but would rule anything screwy that might be going on with the hub's device > IP assigments.
At the time of writing, there are two Android devices connected to the 2.4GHz radio (one of them a Huawei device) that have a *very* weak signal which I would not expect to be working well.
On the 13th at 5.40pm'ish there are no Wi-Fi events shown in your router logs. The latest one was 4.19pm. The next thing you see it the device being rebooted shortly after 6pm Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

MaiB
Dabbler

Thank you Bob.

I have just done the factory reset,  and split the wireless so 5Ghz is separate.  My set up is very basic.  Connected to the 5GHz I have a Windows desktop, an Amazon Firestick and a Freesat box.  Of these only one is connected at a time normally and the computer has most use and is, therefore, where I notice the drop outs most.

I shall watch how things settle now with the factory reset.  Many thanks.

Tiggy22
Hooked

Thank you @bobpullen 

Today, I found that my firmware date had been automatically updated (15/07/2021) but the version was still 263 (I think) from May 2020.

I switched the power off for 30 seconds and restarted, and the version is now 289.1.1.

Thanks for pushing this latest firmware without me asking for it.

I really appreciate your hard work.  I just hope that Plusnet top management appreciate your hard work too.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Tiggy22 - that's expected behaviour.

Your router 'calls home' once every 24 hours. The time this happens differs from one device to the next. Sequence of events for the global/mass upgrades looks like this:-

1. Router is targeted for upgrade.
  2. Router does it's daily 'call home'
  3. Router instructed to download firmware to memory
  4. Firmware downloads successfully and last update time is updated
  5. Router is instructed to reboot during early hours of the morning
  6. Router reboots during early hours of the morning
  7. New firmware is applied on reboot

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

metalligator
Dabbler

thanks @bobpullen seems tickidyboo now, thanks for pushing the update!

Don't suppose there is any other changes in the new firmware other than working 5gz?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@metalligator - list is not exhaustive, but these are the main callouts, in addition to the 5GHz connectivity problem:-

• Stability improvements for FTTC lines on busy vectored cabinets
  • Fix for 5GHz throughput/speed degradation, requiring reboot
  • Improved DNS response times when using router's DNS forwarder
  • Fix for issue that can cause DNS resolution failures, requiring reboot
  • QoS improvements when using WAN port
  • Fix for BST time inaccuracy
  • Improved accuracy of network map display in Hub Manager

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team