cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Wonky

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

I have just upgraded from ADSL to fibre and the hub one router. My WiFi keeps dropping out for a few moments and causes issues with some sites I am trying to use as the site goes back a few levels which is a real pain.

Could the update help with this issue?

If so could you please push it to my router please?

Tags (1)
ShaneB
Hooked

hi @bobpullen 

I don't appear to be one of the trial roll outs as still running 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 from March 2019, is there any way you can push the update to my device, I'm going to be moving house in the next couple of months and if we can get the 5Ghz issue resolved with the Hub One then I'll stay with Plusnet when I move otherwise I'll look into switching to a new provider.

Thanks

Shane

angbur

Hi
We have been with Plusnet since March and have had this issue since day one.

We have multiple devices connected, 1x smart tv, 2x amazon fire sticks, 2x amazon echo, mobile phones, laptops. And WiFi drops out of random devices (though mainly laptops and the smart tv) at random times (very inconveniently today when working from home, presenting on Zoom to 200 people).

Restarting the router manages to get it back up and running within 5 minutes. The length of time that it works properly for varies greatly. Recently it went for about a month with no problem. But other times it goes within a matter of hours. Which can be very frustrating.

I have only just found this thread and it's good to see that a resolution is being made available.

I'm not especially technically minded but have checked the link and we have version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263
If you're able to send the update to us please it would be very much appreciated.
lotusandy

Hi @bobpullen  please could you push the firmware update to me too please. I'm currently on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and for the last 3-4 weeks I've having issues with the 5ghz broadband dropping out, a re-boot fixes it but only for a few days.

Thanks Andy

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@DeeS - sorry about that, try another reboot.

@tremaihti @dottyed @jongraham @Wonky @ShaneB @angbur & @lotusandy - I've just pushed an update to each of your routers. You'll need to power off/back on at your side to apply it.

@Jiffyuk - worth making a note of the times/dates when you're losing connectivity. I can see the odd broadband disconnection on your line and I'm wondering whether or not this is the cause of your issues, rather than anything specific to the Wi-Fi?

@MagNeto - that second set of logs are just communication entries related to our hardware management platform. Nothing to worry about. One thing to mention regarding both tablets on your network at the moment - is that they have a very weak connection to the 2.4GHz radio. I wouldn't expect them to work particularly well on 5GHz where there are currently sited. It could just be that you're on the limit of what the router is cable of range-wise.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gilesbjames

Hi Bob

I’m glad I’ve found this thread! Having real issues with connection to 5ghz with frequent loss of connection

Hun status is blue when problems occur

I have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels split and seems to affect both.

No devices wired.

Can’t trigger problem seems to be persistent across all devices.

Not resolved when rebooting hub.

Home set up:
5ghz- fire stick/ IPad pro/ iPhone 12
2.4 iPhone se, MacBook Pro 2013 no additional adapters.

Could you push the update to me as currently running Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Thanks for your work on this.
Jiffyuk
Dabbler

@bobpullen

Will try and note future drop outs and appreciate that the line has dropped a couple of times.

However, I tried other devices in the house when my phone dropped and they worked fine.
nadz

Hi Bob, please could you please push the firmware update out to me please. I'm on software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 but have been having issues with the 5ghz broadband dropping out since I started with Plusnet this March. I did disable the 5Ghz band but the red error light is very distracting!!

angbur

@bobpullen Thank you so much for your help
lotusandy

Hi @bobpullen 

I have power cycled the router but the firmware seems to be unchanged (4.7.5.1.83.8.263) as are the 5G wireless issues... Would you mind having a look, please?

Many thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Gilesbjames @nadz - I've sent the update your way. You'll need to power your hub off/back on.

@lotusandy - Try another reboot.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Tags (1)
ShaneB
Hooked

Thanks @bobpullen , all stable so far today with good download speeds, fingers crossed this fixes the problem.

Shane

CecilSneer
Hooked

I've been moved up to Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289, but three months later the problem has flared up again and I'm getting the same issues as before with devices intermittently losing the ability to connect to the Wi-Fi network and authentication / password errors when trying to connect to the Wi-Fi network after it comes back up.

I split the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels again, but that doesn't seem to help, so it's a bit of a a conundrum.  I could disable the 5GHz channel completely, but I shouldn't have to do that.  Is anyone else on firmware version .289 starting to get these problems again, or is it just me?

Simon974
Hooked

@CecilSneer

Hi, it's not just you - I've been on .289 firmware for a while now and problems have been on the increase the last few weeks. I don't use the Plusnet Wifi, I have a 3-node mesh network attached to the Plusnet router via ethernet but Plusnet handles all the DHCP addresses and controls the network.

Been getting a lot of "connected but no internet", "requires login/authorisation" on android devices. Windows10 PCs just lose connection altogether and then reconnect (sometimes need a reboot), but speed is reduced sometimes to less than 100kbps. A router restart fixes it, but for a seemingly random length of time.

I did read on a forum somewhere (sadly I didn't make a note of where) that disabling "extended uPnP security" can help. I have done this and it certainly seems to have helped reduce the number of disconnects - certainly with IP cameras and wifi light bulbs.

Thanks for all your work on this @bobpullen, but unfortunately at least for some of us, I'm not sure .289 is a fix-all.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Simon974 - in the last 30 days, your underlying broadband connection has dropped 18 times. Are all of these forced reboots? If not, how does it compare to the frequency of the problems you're continuing to suffer?

@CecilSneer - similar question, although your broadband connection has dropped at least 50 times in the last 30 days. I wouldn't be too certain that your issues are solely related to Wi-Fi 🤔

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team