Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 2.4ghz unreliable

willsarson
Dabbler

Hub One - 2.4ghz unreliable

Hi all,

I've had a good look around the forums and seen similar, but not the same issue here.  So if this is a common issue please accept my apologies and point me in the right direction.

I've recently got a Hub One on unlimited fibre extra service.

We had issue when Facetiming with the internet connection dropping temporarily (wireless remained connected no problem though).  We then also noticed when scrolling through instagram etc that photos would stop loading - wait 10 secs then they would load again normally.  This affects all wifi connected devices (iphone, ipad and mac)

I've been working my way through the forums to try and solve but not landed on anything yet. 

I've separated out 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks and the 5ghz network seems to function without any issue.  I would just use that network but I have a couple of devices that are only compatible with 2.4 (e.g. my boiler!)

I've also tried all the channels on 2.4ghz and no noticeable improvement

is there anything else I can try?

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Hub One - 2.4ghz unreliable

D/load a wifi analyser programme, and then scan in your your home to see which channels are least busy; ensure you use those least or not used. Splitting frequencies as you've already done is always recommended. The HubOne has a poor reputation wifi wise; may be get an OpenReach one off E bay. which can be configured to PN settings.
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@willsarson 

As Gel says, BT HH6 is probably the way to go. Baldrick did us all a great service by posting his guide to HH6 on PN and his excellent thread  on setup and maintenance is updated every few days. I found my HH6 on Gumtree for £15 and I'd say my wifi improved by 20%. There's still plenty around, but don't wait too long because last year BT began charging for unreturned equipment such as Hubs.

willsarson
Dabbler

Hi thanks for your replies.

I have checked the different channels already. I’m sat on 11 and nothing else around is using that.

With regards to your suggestion about splitting frequencies, not sure if this is a fact question, but if I’ve got most of my stuff on the 5ghz network and then the few smart home appliances on 2ghz, I would have thought I can’t ‘talk’ to them because they will be on separate networks?
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@willsarson I don't quite understand your last point, can you expand? If you can 'see' them on your computer, you will be able to do whatever you need to do via the interface - both frequencies are available on the router and will operate over your 'local' network.

John
willsarson
Dabbler

I might well be wrong!

But as I understand it, splitting the frequencies creates two networks to log on to: mynetwork2.4 and mynetwork5ghz

If I log my iPhone to mynetwork5ghz it won’t connect to my boiler which only supports 2.4

If I log my iPhone to mynetwork2.4 I can talk to my boiler but I then am back to square one with unreliable connection

Or do I misunderstand your question?
jab1
Legend

Have you actually confirmed that your iPhone on 5Ghz won't talk to the boiler on 2.4, or is this just your thoughts?

John
willsarson
Dabbler

good point - it was an assumption

jab1
Legend

Very dangerous to assume.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

A wrong assumption - the talking gets doe at the router ip level, not the radio frequency bands - they are not separate networks, as neither is the LAN, all part of the same network.

jab1
Legend

Thanks @Mustrum . I should probably said that, but was eating my dinner when I posted.😉

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@jab1  I was just trying to make it simple 😁

willsarson
Dabbler

Thanks both. It hadn’t occurred to me that the 2.4ghz stuff would talk to the 5ghz stuff

So that has definitely solved the issue for the time being

I’ll get a bt hub 6 as well so I have good longer term solution

Thanks!