cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz

garywood84
Rising Star

Hub One 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz

I have a new Hub One router from Plusnet. I've noticed that my wifi devices sometimes connect to the 2.4Ghz wifi and sometimes to the 5Ghz network. Is there a way I can ensure that my 5Ghz capable devices always connect to 5Ghz, without disabling the smart wifi and resorting to two separate SSIDS?

3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz

Not without separating the SSIDs or disabling 2.4GHz. Note that whilst 5GHz is faster, it's range is significantly reduced and much more susceptible to barriers like walls/floors/furniture etc. This might explain why your devices sometimes switch across to 2.4GHz - because the quality of the 5GHz connection drops the farther from the router you are.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks, Bob. The thing is that I'm seeing the variation sitting next to the router, so I don't think barriers are the issue. My laptop always connects to 5ghz, but other devices like phones and tablets switch between 2.4 and 5, apparently randomly.
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Possibly the Wireless adaptors in the phones/tablets have different sensitivity & work differently to the one in your laptop and are are constantly searching for the strongest signal which will fluctuate but most of the time 2.4Ghz will be the strongest.

To force 5Ghz you would need to split out 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz. This shouldn't affect having auto channel switched on. I remember doing it with a Hub One myself.

Note as already discussed 5Ghz won't extend as far as 2.4Ghz & so 2.4 Ghz will need to be used when you are at significant distance from your router.