Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One 2.4GHz Keeps Disassociating Devices

kenb
Dabbler

Hub One 2.4GHz Keeps Disassociating Devices

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently having to reset my Hub One router every 2 or 3 days because of the following problem:

It drops wireless connections to Android phones and PCs (Windows 10) and does not allow them to reconnect, the only way I can reconnect is by reseting the router.

The hub is set to automatic channel selection and has selected Channel 6, which is not clashing with any other hub in range.

Has anyone else come across this problem and if so do they have a solution?

Many Thanks for your help

KenB

12 REPLIES 12
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Hub One 2.4GHz Keeps Disassociating Devices

For 2.4 GHz wifi, turn off Automatic channel selection and manually set it to channels 1, 6 or 11.   It could be channel 6 is suffering from intermittent interference?

You can also try separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless networks, and renaming the 5 GHz wifi SSID may help too.

Adv.Setting-Wireless-5GHz.jpg

If your wifi devices are dual band, see if they behave any better when you force them to use either 2.4 or 5 GHz wifi.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
kenb
Dabbler

Hi bill888
Thanks for the response. I've already tried separating the 2 4 a 5GHz wifis and have also tried turning off the 5GHz WiFi both without success
bill888
Champion

If your devices only operate on 2.4 GHz band, did it make any difference when using channels 1, 6 and 11 ?

kenb
Dabbler

So far I've left it on automatic band selection, which keeps it on Channel 6. There are only two other wireless routers in range both of which seem to use Channel 1. It therefore seems unlikely that there is a channel conflict. It had also been working perfectly OK for about a year before the problem arose.
bill888
Champion

I suggest you do try ch.11 for comparison purposes.

In my own experience, I have had issues where a channel may be seemingly free/vacant, but every now and again, it caused issues for my connected wifi devices.  2.4 GHz band isn't just used exclusively by wifi devices like phones and laptops.  Apps like wifi analyzer won't detect presence of devices which share the same frequencies as 802.11b/g wifi devices. Changing to a channel shared with a neighbour always resolved the issue for me.

Also if one of your neighbours has accidentally enabled 300mbps mode on their router on channel 1, their signal will overlap into channel 6.

kenb
Dabbler

Thanks,

I do have other wireless devices but in the 868MHz band but these have been in operation for a few years without a problem.

I will try setting the router to Channel 11 and see what happens.

Cheers
kenb
Dabbler

Now tried Channel 11 for a while, things are a bit more stable but the WiFi still disassociates from time to time requiring a router restart before phones and PCs will reconnect.

bill888
Champion

You could try clearing all settings on the hub by performing a factory reset to see if it makes any difference.

Check the hub's firmware version in case it is a factor.  Latest is 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 currently being rolled out.

If issue still persists, contact Plusnet directly and see if they will swap out the hub for free if it is less than a year old.

As a last resort, you may have to consider purchasing your own 3rd party router to see if it resolves the problem if you don't have confidence in the Hub One's wifi.

huminahut
Hooked

i have had the same issue for months, tbh i have had a plethora of issues with the hub one.
luckily i don't have to reboot the router every time a device gets booted off but every one of my devices (11 of them) are disconnected a minimum of 30 times a day.

after ringing yesterday i am starting to suspect a logging issue is the cause of most of these problems. 

the only advice i was given was to buy a 3rd party router and that would solve the problem.

kenb
Dabbler

I suspect it could be a problem with the hardware/firmware as I've had the router for well over a year and wireless dissociation was not a problem until a few months ago. It is running the latest firmware which was updated to the router on 09/08/17. The software version is shown as being AA.
kenb
Dabbler

As you can see from the response above they are hinting that a 3rd party router may be the way to go. However, this brings its own problems since, as I understand it, if you then have a problem with your broadband connection you need to reconnect the plusnet supplied router to get support.

Of course if they are saying, as it appears from your post, that a 3rd party router will fix the problem that would appear to be an admission that the Hub 1 is not up to the job.
huminahut
Hooked

i did suspect the firmware but getting plusnet to do anything is nearly impossible.

the problem has always been there but after update it definitely got worse