cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 1 wifi range

beaglebus

Hub 1 wifi range

New customer, all connected up fine, pleased with speed - BUT - wifi range is awful. It's much worse than previous provider's router, even though that was many years old.

My Roku TV stick is in a straight line with the router, you can actually see one from the other when the door's open, they're only 5 meters apart, yet it reports weak or no signal and I've had to balance it on a pile of books to get it to work (intermittently).

What's the solution? Are there any tweaks to the router settings that might help? Or I'm I going to have to fork out for a better router.  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hub 1 wifi range

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@beaglebus  Welcome to the forum.

Try separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840
Try each band in turn and use the best.

If that fails then try changing the channels by going into the wireless settings and changing the settings from auto then trying different ones. If you get a sniffer app, I use WiFi analyser on an Android phone, you can see which bands are least busy.

If you want a better hub with superior WiFi for very little money then get a BT Smarthub 6 from an auction site. Settings are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601, many of us use them.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

beaglebus

Thank you. I've ordered a BT Smarthub 6 as suggested. I see what you mean about this being commonplace with disgruntled Hub 1 users. 

beaglebus

My BT hub arrived yesterday, I followed your instructions carefully - and it all worked perfectly. Thanks so much for your help, I wouldn't have worked it out on my own - so I'd just add that if anyone else is struggling with the weak wifi from their PlusNet router, get one of these - it sorted out my problems with very little fuss. And as a bonus, I no longer have that horrible bright blue 1000 watt led strip to annoy me Smiley