cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to split LAN cable to feed two devices?

bobw1943
Grafter

How to split LAN cable to feed two devices?

Plusnet are sending me a "Plusnet Hub One" to replace my current setup which is an Openreach modem and the earlier Plusnet Hub. This presents me with a problem. As things are presently the modem is connected to the router by 10 metres of LAN cable. The router is connected by LAN cable to my PC and a Passiv Systems Hub which controls my heating and is connected wirelessly to my solar panels setup.
The problem I have is that the new Hub One will need to be next to the Primary socket where the modem is now. Is there a device which will split the 10m LAN cable so that both my PC and the Passiv hub can run from the same cable. I don't want to have to run another 10m LAN round the room.

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: How to split LAN cable to feed two devices?

@bobw1943 there are 2 options ( at least )

1) If the Openreach modem is still working then you can stay with the existing router location and connect the OR modem to the WAN  port of the Hub One using your existing cable. The Hub one SHOULD autodetect that it has a WAN connection rather than a direct DSL connection.

2) Locate the Hub One at the primary socket and connect directly to the DSL line ( replacing the OR modem ) and then connect a multi port switch to your 10m cable, located where your existing router is . Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005D-5-Ports-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00ZOOJXEG should be fine . Your PC and Passiv Hub are then connected to ports on the new switch

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobw1943
Grafter

Thank you for your help.

Since the new HUB has been sent in an attempt to solve a low speed problem I believe your second suggestion will be best option. I had been told that a simple LAN splitter would not enable two devices to be fed by one cable, but the device you suggest seems ideal.

picbits
Rising Star

You can actually use a LAN combiner / Splitter cable at each end of a standard CAT5 cable to enable you to run two 100Mb/s devices - all four pairs in the cables are only really used when you are running gigabit speeds.

The proper way of doing it however (and not much more expensive) is to use the switch as suggested above - they can be picked up for a tenner or so - not that much more than the lan splitter cables. I'd only use the splitter cable if you don't have spare power for the switch at the end of your 10m cable.