cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set fixed IP address when no DHCP option on the host device

EL34

How to set fixed IP address when no DHCP option on the host device

I have a couple of devices that need to have fixed IP addresses set on them, they do not have an option to pick up an address from the DHCP Server; so I can not use the option to let them pick up an address from the pool and then assign it as a fixed address in the Hubone software. I have tried setting a fixed address both inside and outside of the HubOne DHCP Pool, but the HubOne does not see or report these devices on any of the screens. The devices sort of work, that is to say for 99% of the time they are fine, but they keep disconnecting occasionally. I have proven via a different network that the issue is 100% a HubOne problem and not the devices in question. Another device that I had suffered the same issue, but did have the option of getting a DHCP Address from the HubOne, which I then assigned as fixed; the disconnecting was then resolved on this device.

Any device that is on the network with a manually assigned IP address in side the DHCP Pool or outside but within the correct range does not get seen by the HubOne; therefore I can not tell the HuB One to manually assign this address; any suggestions as to how to get round this?

I have to say the HubOne Router is very poor, I had the same setup when we were with Sky with no problems at all.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to set fixed IP address when no DHCP option on the host device

@EL34 Can we start off by knowing what these devices are. I find it odd that there are devices out there that don't support DHCP and if they don't then their must be a way of configuring their interfaces, either via a direct connection or software provided by the devices vendor.

Knowing what they are would really help.

EL34

Hello Mook - they are both old wireless access points, one is a Belkin device, long time not supported now, the other a BT Voyager 2100 device that I was using as a wireless access point. For both devices they only have the option to set a fixed IP address. Both worked perfectly in the current configuration when we were with Sky, moving to Plusnet and in particular the HubOne, they both very randomly disconnect for a short period of time, for 99% of the time they work perfectly.

The problem seems to be the HubOne does not like it if you use fixed addresses that it has not allocated, whilst it seems to work, in reality there is a very odd disconnection that happens, maybe two or three times a day for a couple of seconds, this can happen and you may not notice as things reconnect again. It's a very odd problem. As stated I had the same problem on another device, but this did allow me to use DHCP from the HubOne and then set it as a fixed address, as soon as I did this, that problem was solved, so I know this is the cause of the problem, the fact that I can not see a device on the network if the HubOne does not allocate the address is also a big shortfall in the HubOne's software. I would not expect to see it in the DHCP Table, but I would expect to see such devices in the connected device list.

I will probably give up with these two old devices and buy a new Wireless access point that can have an allocated DHCP address, this will work but means I have to buy another device. The HubOne is in a location where the wireless signals are weak in parts of the house, where I had the BT Access point I had full coverage, not an option to move the HubOne, no phone line close by where it would need to be.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again @EL34 knowing what I know now I have to agree that buying a new device is probably the best option. The reason I say that is that technology has moved on and as these devices have this limitation they are really showing their age. Not only will you get the benefit of newer technology, and possibly better though put, you will no doubt benefit from better security.

gsha
Dabbler

The default DHCP scope configured on the HubOne is only a subset of the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (I'm not in front of the HubOne and cant remember the exact range, but you can check/confirm somewhere under "Advanced Settings"), and to avoid any conflicts you should set device static address to something on the same subnet that is not in the DHCP scope, and also don't use 192.168.1.254 as this is the router address, and also make sure you disable DHCP on any of the connected devices!! The address will need to be 192.168.1.?? (and set the mask to 255.255.255.0), and this should work OK. I've all of my wired devices (and also some of the wireless devices) configured with static IP addresses, and it all works OK for me.

EL34

Thanks gsha - this is how my devices were configured originally; I get the odd disconnect problem with this configuration. I know some routers will accept a fixed IP address within the DHCP range so I also tried this, same results. It's not that it does not work, it just this odd disconnect problem, which many may never notice, so configuring the IP address inside or just out side the DHCP range appears to work fine, but the HubOne does seem to have an issue with it and causes this odd disconnect problem. Thanks for your reply, as indicated earlier, I will buy a new access point, but it's worth noting that the HubOne does seem to need to allocate the original IP address, which you can then in the HubOne software make a fixed address.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

from the Help panel in the PN Hub One router I read thus

From the Home Network map, click on a device's name to view or change its settings. You can:

• change how a local device name is displayed in the Hub Manager (this doesn't affect the device's set-up) Note: The Home network name must start with a letter, end with a letter or digit, and contain only letters, digits, and hyphen (-)
  • view details about the device
  • set up the Plusnet Hub to always use the same IP address for the device: select Yes next to Always use this IP address.
    (Note: this is useful if you want to control allocation of IP addresses without having to set up fixed IP addresses on your individual devices.)
  • remove the device from the Plusnet Hub's records to stop it appearing in the home network diagram and devices lists in the Hub Manager: click the Delete button. The device will reappear when it is next connected to your Plusnet Hub.
  • edit the IP address for devices which have been given IP addresses by the Plusnet Hub using DHCP. Once changed the device must be re-started to collect the new IP address. The Plusnet Hub will automatically ‘always use’ this IP address whenever this devices is connected again. This option is not always available for all devices.

After changing any settings, click Apply to confirm.