cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the latest firmware update?

FIXED
brucewarren
Dabbler

Re: How to get the latest firmware update?

Two laptops using Windows 10. They had no issues with high quality streaming video audio before this week (Youtube music videos and Spotify). Video conferencing (Zoom, et al) and youtube with simple audio and video do not seem to have the glitching/stutter problem, but do show a high latency just short of glitching. Our two mobiles with Android 8.0 don't seem to be affected.

It would be good to go back to a previous firmware version for proof-positive of whether that is the cause.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@brucewarren, your router is going down now to apply the downgrade.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

brucewarren
Dabbler

OK, that was a surprising result. On the restored firmware version ....237.2.2 the glitching and stutter is gone and the latency has been dropped more than half, though it is still very high! (See attached.) Go figure! So, I still need to do some work to figure out how to get the latency down to sane levels, but your restoration of the old firmware solved half of my latency problem and did solve my glitching problem on streaming media.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I wouldn't rule out the reboot as a contributory factor at this point.

I'll leave you to do some further digging but if you get to a satisfactory place, then I would like to try upgrading your firmware again at some point so we can be 100% sure it's contributing to your issue.

Easy enough to flip back if the problem resurfaces.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

salis123

Hi, my Hub one is on an old version, can i request a firmware update for it?

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 Last updated Unknown

Download speeds seem to drop off  sometimes and have to give it a reboot so just seeing if that fixes a couple of issues.

Many thanks.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @salis123 

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues. Is this only occurring on wireless connections or wired also? 

Do you get any Wireless devices dropping off the network at all? 

237.2.2 is a current firmware version that is predominant across most of our customer base at the moment. We are, however, hoping to complete a full roll out of new FW between now and March. So it shoudlnt be long before you get an update. 

Thanks, 

MoR

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@salis123, try a factory reset by inserting something into the pinhole at the back of the router until the status light flashes green. All being well, the latest update should come through within a day or two.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

salis123

OK i'll do that and see if the update come through soon, otherwise connection seems to have stabilized recently.

Many thanks.

Coulddobetter

Hi, my Hub has never updated and when i investigate the logs I can see the 'Failed to resolve host' issue others have reported can you please flick the same switch on your end to allow my router to update to the latest firmware.

Thank you!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Coulddobetter, thanks for your post.

We're of course more than happy to arrange for a firmware update to be pushed out.

Can you confirm though, are you currently experiencing technical difficulties (aside from the one you've mentioned) that you believe a firmware update will fix?

The reason I ask is that we'd 100% want to get any connection issues fixed before running any updates.

Coulddobetter

Hi, thanks for the fast reply. Now you've opened a can of worms but you did ask.......

I've had an ongoing REIN problem since 12:30, 18th Dec that has killed my uplink speed 600kps from 3.5Mbps.

An Openreach engineer did a fantastic job on New Years Eve and traced it to a neighbor (had him turn his power off for 10 minutes) but cannot intervene further. As of right now my connection is super stable has been up for at least 2 weeks and only goes down when I reset it in the vein hope the REIN has gone away. 

We have 29Mbps down and 600kbp up (And 2 teenagers that are pretty upset their gaming performance is now miserable)

I'm just hoping a firmware update may give something, anything more than 600kbps.uplink, before the kids drive me to an early grave. 

The frustrating thing is I'm an electronics hardware engineer and could probably track the REIN appliance down through an AM radio and switching the house circuits off one at a time, fixing their broadband too, but the neighbor isn't interested in our collective problem (Its affecting the whole street).

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me.

First things first - I can see that you're currently on the 'Unlimited Fibre Extra' package but that your line cannot even support the maximum speed of the lower package, 'Unlimited Fibre'. For reference, your line estimates for DL are 22.4mbps - 32.7mbps, with 'Unlimited Fibre' having a max speed of 38mbps.

I'd like to save you a few quid every month and drop you down to the lower package but as I cannot accept contract change requests via Community I've had to send you a ticket accessible here.

With regards your firmware, can you please follow the below and then respond with the firmware version you're currently on?

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Troubleshooting' that at the top  followed by 'Helpdesk' under that and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) The 3rd option down should show the firmware version of the router

Thanks

Coulddobetter

Hi, thanks for getting back so quickly again.

1) I only just 'upgraded' to fibre extra' as it was MUCH cheaper than my ongoing Fibre contract. Fibre extra was on offer at £13 for 18 months and again i hoped that I'd squeeze something more from the line. Next door but one used to get 6.5Mbps up link but now only get 1.0 Mbps since the REIN problem emerged. But that is still much better than 600kbps we've dropped to. BTW the REIN issue actually increased downlink from around 26Mbps to 29Mbps when the uplink dropped from 3.5Mbps to 600kbps. I've tried a BT HH5 and it gets the same speeds (I know its pretty much the same H/W but at least it verified the Hub One is OK). Two Openreach engineers got the same speeds on thier portable testers and as I said the second Openreach engineer did a great job narrowing down the source of the REIN but vouldn't go any further as it is off the network and on private property. Soooooo frustrating.

2) Router firmware. Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1 | Last updated Unknown

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Coulddobetter , thanks for your response.

I'm sorry for the slight delay in getting back to you.

I'm not overly convinced that a firmware update is going to resolve a REIN issue but we can certainly request that the latest firmware is pushed out. REIN is unfortunately one of those issues that we have very little control over, however, as your upload speed is well below estimates I've raised a further fault with Openreach to see if there's anything that they're able to do to boost the UL speed. I'm not massively confident that they'll be able to fix it but at this point (and to save you from the kids) I think it's definitely worth a shot. We'll know more in around 72 working hours.

With regards the package, if you're on a better deal I certainly won't disagree with you.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Coulddobetter, factory reset your device and the latest firmware should get pushed to you within a day or two.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team