cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically reboot default Plusnet router??

terrapin
Dabbler

How to automatically reboot default Plusnet router??

I have the 36Mbs Fibre package, and noticed that after running an online speed test it was only averaging about 20Mbs.

I contacted support and they suggested I unplug the router and then power up and try again. This actually seemed to work, however, after a few days the speed starts to drop once again.

I have logged into the router and I cannot find the option (which has existed on every other router I have owned) to schedule an automatic reboot. Does this option exist on the Plusnet default router???

5 REPLIES 5
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: How to automatically reboot default Plusnet router??

Conventional wisdom is that you shouldn't reboot a fibre connection too often, as it can cause your line speed to be downgraded by the software in the cabinet.

That said, if your connection improves with a reboot, then the only solution I can think of with a Plusnet supplied router is a plug in timer, that will cut the power at a specified time.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/plug-in-compact-timer/44241?tc=BA7&ds_kid=92700019905958453&ds_rl=1241687...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Rather than fighting it why not go onto Ebay, spend £20-30 on a Smarthub 6 and use that instead of the flaky Plusnet offering?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

terrapin
Dabbler

@mikelahey wrote:

Conventional wisdom is that you shouldn't reboot a fibre connection too often, as it can cause your line speed to be downgraded by the software in the cabinet.

That said, if your connection improves with a reboot, then the only solution I can think of with a Plusnet supplied router is a plug in timer, that will cut the power at a specified time.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/plug-in-compact-timer/44241?tc=BA7&ds_kid=92700019905958453&ds_rl=1241687...

okay, well I have a couple of older routers which have the reboot option, I can use one of them if necessary.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why my speed drops after a period of time?

Never heard that fibre connections shouldn't be rebooted too often.....?? I don't doubt you on this, but can you add any more details as to why the speed would be downgraded by software in the cabinet by a reboot?Huh

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

It's very simple. In the cabinet is a Line Management (DLM) device that automatically tunes your line for the best performance. If it sees the line dropping too often it assumes that there is a fault on the line and slows your connection down to try to compensate and correct the problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

terrapin
Dabbler

I can understand this if the router is being rebooted continuously (dozens of times per hour) but surely rebooting the router a couple of times a week is not going to result in the slowing of the connection is it???