cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I check my DNS?

Roy01
Hooked

How to I check my DNS?

Hi.  How can I check that the DNS I am using is valid, and not a bogus one as the result of some kind of malware?  I used the "DNS LeakTest" website, and this gave 217.46.25.2 with the hostname 2.25.46.217.dyn.plus.net.  The "F-Secure Router checker" says the same address.  However, when I look in my router's setup pages, it gives a primary DNS of 212.159.6.9, and a Secondary DNS of 212.159.6.10.  It is also set to "Auto".  (My router is the one by SagamCom).  If I change it from auto to manual, I can type new addresses into the boxes (but I didn't).  I have heard that it's possible for DNS's to get changed so you get sent to fake sites, so I'm a bit concerned about this.  Recently, emails from ASDA no longer display their logo, not even on older ones that did before.  However, when I log in, everything seems normal, including lists of previous orders, contact details etc, and the site has the HTTPS padlock, so I guess it's not fake, but how could I be sure, and how can I correct it if it's wrong, and protect myself from the DNS getting hacked.  What are Plusnet's official DNS server addresses. I can't find them on their website.  I have looked at the "routersecurity.org" website, but they give a lot of info but now anything to tell me how to make sure I am safe (as far as DNS is concerned anyway).  I'm not getting a lot of advertising or anything like that. 

1 REPLY 1
Roy01
Hooked

Re: How to I check my DNS?

Ok, I'm replying to myself!  Another poke round Plusnet help, and pretending I'm not using a Plusnet router, I did find out that the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses set in my router are the same as their "alternatives", so at least that's OK, but id doesn't explain why the DNS test sites give a different address?  I don't use a VPN either by the way.