Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How stable is Home Hub 6 for download speeds and router resets

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

How stable is Home Hub 6 for download speeds and router resets

I am aware the BT Home Hub 6 has better Wi-Fi then the PlusNet Hub One.

I am more interested in how regular does it reset the router, and thus potentially impact on download speed.

After I had an Open reach engineer sent last Saturday at the behest of PlusNet due to Fibre download speeds having dropped a lot, he checked the wiring (external only) and reset the line and it immediately improved things, sadly the router has reset a number of times at various times of the day/night and gone all the way back to the low level again. My download speed has been higher then this for sometime in the past an even BT checkers confirmed I had higher observed speeds.

So now considering a Home Hub 6 via eBay - till now I have always avoided eBay

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: How stable is Home Hub 6 for download speeds and router resets

@wakeman 

I think that you are comparing apples with pears! My Smarthub 6 actually reboots evey 14 days, from reports not all do. No hubs are programmed to constantly drop the line. When my hub resets it goes through the orderly shut down process, which is not logged as a fault so completely different to your issues.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wakeman
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1  So you are saying no benefit in getting a Home Hub 6 then.

The Hub One goes through the reset process you can see it dropping the connection and going through the process on restarting in the logs. PlusNet can see the disconnects but say unless their are 3 within 24 hours or 6 within 72 hours they decide its not worth doing anything about.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Got a Hub 6 from eBay months ago, not aware of any reboots or disconnections unless it was in the early hours of the morning when I was in bed !

The Hub 6 replaced a modem supplied by PN which was working ok but looking at the signal strength there appears to be no difference.

Hub 6 cost me around £ 20 on eBay but as already mentioned it’s unlikely to sort your problem out, however a spare modem can be a handy thing to have even if it’s just used to confirm your existing modem is not having problems.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@wakeman wrote:

@Baldrick1  So you are saying no benefit in getting a Home Hub 6 then.

No, I am sayinh that an orderly disconnection of the DSL connection is different to the line dropping and is not, as far as I am aware, recorded as a fault that counts towards DLM intervention.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@wakeman wrote:

The Hub One goes through the reset process you can see it dropping the connection and going through the process on restarting in the logs...

Are there actually references to 'system start' in the logs? i.e. is the router physically restarting? If it is - it could be the hardware at fault.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wakeman
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen 

example from the Router log:  (note I never requested the restart).

Screenshot 2020-10-27 191715.jpg