cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up an ASUS RT-AC86U?

MrCalvin
Dabbler

How do I set up an ASUS RT-AC86U?

Hi, I plan on buying an ASUS RT-AC86U. The comments on amazon.co.uk say it can be used with plusnet. Does anyone have one? Could you tell me what I have to do to set it up please? Does it replace the router I have currently or do I use both of them together?

Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't know anything about this stuff.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: How do I set up an ASUS RT-AC86U?

The RT-AC68U is a router only. You need a combined modem/ router to replace your existing plusnet one.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Or get a separate modem such as the Huawei HG612 3B (Which was the modem originally supplied by Openreach for FTTC connections). These are available on a well known auction site, some say they are old and not the latest modem chipset but I have used one ever since I have had FTTC several yeas ago and have had no problems. They can also be unlocked to allow access to detailed line stats if required.

MrCalvin
Dabbler

Thanks for that info, saved me a real headache there Smiley How about a ASUS DSL-AC68U? Should I make a seperate thread to for help with it? Or can I get the info on how to set it up for plusnet here?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@MrCalvin  Ive not used one myself but the DSL-AC68U doesnt get very good reports https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/ASUS-DSL-AC68U-on-Plusnet-FTTC-basic/m-p/1710514 .

What exactly are you trying to achieve in replacing the standard PlusNet router ?

With that information maybe people could suggest a better unit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MrCalvin How about a ASUS DSL-AC68U?  DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING ONE IT IS THE WORST EVER VDSL2 MODEM/ROUTER.😮

It has a very poor Mediatek modem chipset which is known to cause trouble on BT FTTC lines, such as poor speeds and line drops resulting in your line being banded at a low speed.

I believe there are other ASUS devices, the DSL-AC86U and DSL-AC88U which may be better but I have no experience of  them and they are pretty expensive.

If you need a more affordable solution the BT HH6 and Smart Hub2 work well on PlusNet and can be found on a well known auction site.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@MrCalvin I have an ASUS DSL-AC68U and would not recommend it.

A number of firmware updates and various 'solutions' from Asus forum members failed to fix the router.

I currently use a Billion 8800AXL which holds a solid connection, something the Asus failed to do reliably.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MrCalvin
Dabbler

Thanks for all the info! I definitely will not get one then. I'm just assuming that if I pay for a good modem connections and speed will "be better", not that I really have any problems. I'm mainly thinking in terms of wireless connections and speed.

Is there a modem/router that is recommended to replace the standard one I currently have for any reason? It's just something I don't mind doing if it's better in any way.