cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get the TG585 v8 to recognise a previously deleted ethernet device?

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

How can I get the TG585 v8 to recognise a previously deleted ethernet device?

I have a camera which records pictures on a mini-SD card but can also be connected to the router via ethernet. It was configured with a static IP address. However, when I connected it today the home network settings continued to show its IP address as 0.0.0.0, and I couldn't seem to get the router to recognise it was connected. In frustration I deleted it, believing the router would then see it as a new device and accept its configuration. Unfortunately, after rebooting the camera and disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet cable, the router still will not recognise anything is connected to the ethernet port.

How can I persuade the router to look for the device?

(I have had a lot of trouble with my DSL over the last few days, so I certainly don't want to power-cycle the router and make those problems worse.)

2 REPLIES 2
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: How can I get the TG585 v8 to recognise a previously deleted ethernet device?

Do any lights come on the router when you plug it in? That would mean it is physically connected, no problem with the cable, etc. They usually have a light at the front and at the back by the socket so check if they're flashing and not off.

I'm no network expert, but if they can't see each other and you camera has a static IP then they could be on different subnets. Do an ipconfig /all from the command line on the PC and it will tell you.

If the PC tells you the subnet mask is say for example 255.255.255.0, and I assume you have DHCP set on the PC router. That means the 3 digits have to be the same to be seen on the network. Check your static settings on the camera. For 255.255.255.0 the third digit must be the same. So if your router is dishing out 192.168.1.x addresses you camera must be on a static 192.168.1.y, if the static is set to say 192.168.0.1 then the new router won't see be able to communicate with the camera.

Easy way is to change the routers DHCP pool to only give you address after say .10, then you have a static range available before then for things you don't want changing. That is what I do for my network colour laser, as I would have to reinstall the drivers when it changes.

Give an PC output of ipconfig /all and your camera settings and one of us can help.
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: How can I get the TG585 v8 to recognise a previously deleted ethernet device?

There are no lights on the Ethernet sockets of a TG585 v8. The devices are on the same subnet as they connected fine the last time I plugged the camera in (over a year ago). I cannot be sure of the IP address but when I plugged it in to ethport 4 the router showed an inactive device plugged in there with IP address 192.168.1.70, which looked possible. Unfortunately, the device was shown as inactive and I could not reach it. I tried power cycling the camera, but that made no difference, so I deleted it from the router's table in the expectation the router would then claim to have found a new device, but even after unplugging and reconnecting the cable a few times, no new device appeared. My guess is I need to give the router an instruction to scan for new devices, but the only instruction I can find is for wifi rather than wired connections, and the router's help doesn't seem to offer any information so I thought I'd ask here as it's a PlusNet-supplied router.

I presume ipconfig /all scans the network for all connected devices reachable on the ethernet subnet, but I'm only guessing because I haven't got Windows. I rely on the router's internal pages to give me that information, but I'd be surprised if the PC could see anything the router couldn't see.

Update: I have now found the IP address and can log into the camera from my PCs. However, the problem remains in the sense that the camera does not show up in the Home Network pages of the router, even though it is clearly connected and working. What do I have to do to make it visible in those pages?