Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home hub 6 set up

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Home hub 6 set up

@BD wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, to log into routers and amend the details the router or device wouldn't need internet access and just a browser in order to view the router pages and make the changes.

Let me take this further.

If you  are connecting a BT device onto a Plusnet service you must disconnect the DSL line before entering Plusnet details. Hence, you must NOT have internet access  If you have internet access then on booting the default BT self configuring settings will get there first and you will be finding yourself in the BT connection fault finding pages. If you get past that stage you will be told that the Plusnet settings that you have entered are not for a BT account so go away.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

philji
Dabbler

Still awaiting home hub so prob will get stuck in tomorrow morning when fresh!!!. Still worried about it. I have one old laptop which has LAN ethernet connection. . I might try connecting this to router via ethernet to make all the changes to settings. I really cannot see how else to do it, as I will not be able to access by home page?
philji
Dabbler

Looking at your guidance do i....

1. Disconnect Plusnet router from phone line

2. Plug new router to power.( Not phone line)

3. Enter wireless network from back of home hub into browser( not sure him as  there will be no internet at this point).

4. Type in 192 etc( still offline)

5. Follow instructions 're amending pw etc.

6. Now connect home hub cable to phone line.

That's it!.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Disconnect plus net router from BT Phone line .  (providing your plusnet password does not contain any special symbols, ie @£*&^£$^ etc.  If it does then change plusnet password first)

Mains power your BT Hub.  (Do not connect the DSL line yet to the BT phone line.)

If your BT Hub is Brand New then the details on the back of the hub should work.

If your BT Hub has been used, then there is a possibility that the passwords etc have been changed by the other owner, so you must Hard reset first back to factory settings. (see my previous instructions on setting up BT Hub)

On your computer select the wireless network that is the same as the details on the back of the Bt Hub

or connect a wired ethernet cable to your computer and the BT Hub.

Enter the wireless password key  shown on the back of the Bt Hub

type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar of your browser on your computer

This then opens the configuration page of Your New BT Hub

Follow details as I have previously supplied.

You will need to enter the Admin password for the Hub manager as shown on the back of the BT hub to alter the settings

Once you have switched off smart Set up and entered your username@plusdsl.net and plusnet password and selected save on both occasions. 

Then plug in the DSL line into the phone socket and Bt Hub  and connect to the internet. Select connect/save from the configuration menu

You are then free to re enter the configuration of the BT Hub to split GHz and  to change the network name and Admin passwords of The BT hub to your usual ones if required.

philji
Dabbler

Re: HAome hub 6 set up

I want to thank everyone for their patience and help yesterday. Set up Sent well. Great.

One hopefully final queation.

How to split devices into 2.4 and 5 ghz...

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Try looking at this link hopefully will help you

if not come back and the plusnet community will no doubt help further

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@philji 

Go to step 12 here. Note there is 2 step 12s. You want the first one https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

johnfarquhar

When I tried, with the assistance of PlusNet technicians, to replace my PlusNet router with a BT Hub6 router to overcome poor house wi-fi coverage, the BT webpage did not allow the username and password to be changed at first, but when with a lot of jiggery-pokery it did show the blank boxes, there was no Save button to click.  The PlusNet technicians were as flummoxed as I was over how we could effect the change, so we had to leave it.  I later rang BT and asked about why we were unable to modify the username and password information, and was told I had to be a BT customer to make modifications.  This was contrary to advice given by the PlusNet technicians, who said they did it all the time.

The PlusNet guys said I must have bought a business router rather than a domestic one, although apparently they look identical.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

A Businesses BT Home Hub/ Smart Hub will still work with plusnet.

Make sure you do not have any odd or strange characters  in your plusnet Password. like $%^&*(£@ etc

the BT Router will not accept them. If you do change your password before attempting to set up the Smart Hub.

see Baldricks set up here  or mine

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

and . my post 41 here

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705

Do not plug in the DSL line until you have altered your passwords etc and are ready to connect.

Do not use any odd characters for your password either the BT Router will not accept !@£$%^&*()_ . etc

If you have a brand new BT Smart hub then a reset should not be necessary.