cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home hub 6 set up

philji
Dabbler

Home hub 6 set up

I am waiting for by home hub 6 to arrive today, hopefully this will increase WiFi through house as there are some really poor areas with hub one. I have read many of the helpful comments on here about setting up but a couple of things unsure about.
1.after entering 192.168.1.254 it says select smart setup and then turn off. On home page cannot see smart setup... Top line shows:
Home ..settings..adv settings..troubleshooting.
2. Also when pw is to be entered is this the pw used to access Plusnet website and shown on Plusnet paperwork as broadband pw.
Thanks
23 REPLIES 23
philji
Dabbler

Re: Home hub 6 set up

Re above, I think I have the answer to question 1 above. Currently when I enter 192 etc into browser shows plusnet when I have home hub it should take me to bt. Yes???
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

philji
Dabbler

Thanks. This is going to sound really stupid but how can I do all the amendments on 192 etc before it is all connected to internet( forgive me old and not so tech savvy)
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

No Problem

Yes, 192.168.1.254

with the amendment of 

only connecting the DSL cable to BT Socket (Via a filter if needed) after you have changed the correct setting to (yourusername@plusdsl.net) with your plusnet password and saved by pressing the tab at top of the page.

Remember no odd symbols in your plusnet password, If so change them prior to connecting your BT Hub (The BT Hub will not accept odd symbols)

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
philji
Dabbler

Ah simple.!!!..when I enter 192 etc on whilst still on plusnet router the home page will still be plusnet, Can it all be done from there.
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Sorry do not understand your question.

You can change your plusnet password whist still using your plusnet router obviously.

But you have to be connected to the internet so as to change the password .

So if you are connected with a plusnet router, yes the configuration will be the Plusnet router.

You have to select the BT Hub to change that configuration.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @philji, the new BT Home Hub you're looking to use would need to put plugged in, in place of our Hub One router in order to log into the router pages and make the necessary amendments. Some browsers can have issues when trying to log into routers as even when offline they'll install try and search the net so from experience I've found Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge work best when logging into routers. I'll include the step by steps below on how to get the Home Hub working with our connection and to answer your previous question the broadband password would be your account password yeah.

1) Open a new browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

2) Click 'Settings'

3) Input the admin password found on the card that came with your BT Home Hub and click OK.

4) Input your account username: username@plusdsl.net

5) Input your account password

6) Press 'Connect' and you should be online.

Let us know how it goes.

philji
Dabbler

My problem is before connecting dsl cable from home hub router to socket, whilst still on plusnet can I make all the changes necessary then swop from Plusnet dal to home hub and be connected.

philji
Dabbler

Can all this be done without ethernet? As soon as I switch cables( to home hub) can I then access correct home page to make amendments.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @philji, I now see what you mean I think. You can indeed but you'd need to connect a device up to the new non internet connected Home Hub in order to amend the necessary router pages (whether ethernet or wireless)

philji
Dabbler

But how to connect to non internet device without ethernet.( Sorry this is such an issue for me)

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

There is no need to be connected to the internet to enter your routers configuration settings.

In fact when configuring the BT hub you should only put the DSL Line into your BT socket after you have entered your username@dsl.net and password and selected save or connect.

To connect to your BT Hub

Remove your DSL Line from the BT Socket.

Select  the network of your new BT Router, obtained from rear panel of router and connect your computer to that network using the password on the panel

type in 192.168.1.254 and you should connect to the configuration settings of that router

Follow instructions as previously supplied to alter the settings required.

Lastly plug the DSL line from your old router into the Bt Router and into the Bt socket  and connect.

Not sure, just ask, someone here will try and help you.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Contrary to popular belief, to log into routers and amend the details the router or device wouldn't need internet access and just a browser in order to view the router pages and make the changes. The device you choose to log into the router can either be physically connected to the router with a Ethernet cable or alternatively connecting tot he wireless will also allow you to bring up the pages. If there's any other queries or diffeculties please don't hesitate to ask as we are happy to help and advise where we can to help.