cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Networking

Archer
Grafter

Home Networking

Having just migrated to PlusNet and started using the plusnet router I find I can not access other computers on my home network from each other. This was all possible until I moved away from BT and using a Hub 4.

Any suggestions on how to get the router to support this function?

8 REPLIES 8
Lurch
Rising Star

Re: Home Networking

I don't think this is disabled in any way. I was at a site with a Plusnet supplied router with supplied defaults and could access all network devices fine.

Can you browse anything on the network from any connected device at all? It is more than likely Windows blocking access to the new network.

Archer
Grafter

Thanks for picking this up.

To summarise:

Every thing was visible from any where on anything last week through the BT Hub4.

Only thing that's changed is the substitution on the router for the PlusNet router.

Windows devices are only visible when wired to the router, but access not possible.

Android tablet can see WIFI connected devices but not access them.

As you suggest it could be windows (7 & 10) is treating the router differently.

Any guidance on how the open the network up again would be most welcome.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Archer

Any reason why you cannot go back to your HH4 ?

This thread details using HH4 on Plusnet https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/m-p/11...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Archer
Grafter

Have stopped using BT. The HH4 I have is not the R version. Post I've read on hacking the hub report varying degrees of success.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Oh well, just thought I would I get clarification as it may have been a fix for you. Obviously not.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Lurch
Rising Star

@Archer wrote:

Any guidance on how the open the network up again would be most welcome.

My first thought was maybe Windows has marked this new connection as public, and as such it disables a lot of the network sharing and discovery features. I think somewhere there is a setting when a new 'set network location' pops up that you can select that says something along the lines of 'treat all networks I connect to as public' so maybe this has been selected at some point. I would imagine that looking through the settings in the Network & Sharing Centre would be a good start.

Archer
Grafter

Your right.

I read some instructions from MS and set the connection accordingly.

Tried to set up a homegroup. Could create on main PC and generate password. Laptop could see homegroup had been created on PC. Told it to join and it asked for the password. Once entered it reported it did not have a connection so could not join.

Exasperating!

Archer
Grafter

Progress!

I replaced the WIFI link between the PC and router with Ethernet (over power line), and everything works fine.

So, me thinks, there is something about the PC (W7) wifi set up which is stopping sharing.

Anyone any thoughts?