Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network - Devices screen

FIXED
DavRo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Home Network - Devices screen

I recently reverted to my Hub 1 (to diagnose an IPTV problem) and got it updated to the latest firmeare - it was on its original 2016 version.

I notice that the 'Home Network - Devices' screen only shows devices using DHCP (including one for which I have fixed the IP address in the router). I have several devices - wired and wifi - which have fixed IP addresses set it their OS. These don't show up.

I think they used to - or did I imagine that? Why don't they show? The page says: "The diagram below shows all the devices that are connected to your Plusnet Hub."

Also my Netatmo smart thermostat relay, using DHCP, didn't show its name - it did on my Netgear. I think it contains a space - which may be tecnically invalid. Does the hub validate and reject a connecting device's hostname? Why? Just curious.
5 REPLIES 5
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Home Network - Devices screen

Hi @DavRo,

If you add the devices under DHCP and assign the addresses via the router, you should be able to see them. Can you give this a try for me and let me know how it goes.

DavRo
Rising Star

@deank Thank you for responding, but I think you misunderstand my question. These devices do not use DHCP and I do not want them to use DHCP. I fix their IP address and specify their DNS servers. But IMO they should show up under ' connected devices' - they did in every other router I've used. And I think they used to in my past Plusnet routers - but I'm not sure.

This is not a problem for me. But this is either a bug, or the description of that screen should say "The diagram below shows all the devices that have been allocated a DHCP lease by the Plusnet Hub."
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It is a bug. It's referenced elsewhere round these parts but I'm on mobile at the mo so can't link to it. The vendor has a fix but it's dependent on a future software update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DavRo
Rising Star

Fix
Hi @bobpullen

It's actually my error. I reset the hub but forgot to set its IP address to match the gateway address set in all these fixed-IP devices. I do that and they appear. So I didn't imagine that they used to appear!

I would have noticed eventually when I tried to update one and it couldn't access the internet.

Closing this.
DavRo
Rising Star

I see now that my three fixed-IP ethernet-connected devices appear, now that the hub IP address matches their gateway address, the one wifi device I have with a fixed IP address (and the same gateway aggress) does not appear. It's a Brother printer. So maybe that's a bug.

Or maybe the Hub objects to the long network name which is BRWxxxxxxxxxxxx (MAC address)