Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Hub One - Cannot Port Forward to Multiple Devices

Malachor
Grafter

Home Hub One - Cannot Port Forward to Multiple Devices

Hello,

I have a port-forward rule to forward certain ports for a game launcher to my main PC.  This works fine.

I now have an additional machine that I need the SAME rule applied to; but it won't let me do it.  Why not?

not working.png

I don't want to remove the application, nor do I want to select the same device.  I want to use the same rule for another device.  All I need is to use my exisiting port-forward rule to 2 devices, not 1.  How do I do this?

Note: I've tried creating a new game/application with the same port mappings but that doesn't work either.

Many thanks

Mal.

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Home Hub One - Cannot Port Forward to Multiple Devices

I now have an additional machine that I need the SAME rule applied to; but it won't let me do it.  Why not?

Think about it. If a packet arrives to your external address and the port being forwarded , how would your router know which of the two internal IP addresses it should be forwarded to?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Malachor
Grafter

Presumably becuase of the rules telling it which way to go - I'm not sure.  I'm guessing it can only go to one place, not one to many.

If it's not possible i'll accept it as a limitation; otherwise if it is possible I would appreciate a workaround Smiley

Thanks for responding

Mal

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I'm guessing it can only go to one place, not one to many.

Correct, that's why the Hub One ( and all other routers AFAIK ) will prevent you from setting up more than one portforward for the same port.

Are you sure you need to portforward at all ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Malachor
Grafter

Aye it's the only thing that prevents launcher download errors when running FFXIV. I guess I'll have to switch between the two devices as and when it's needed. Cheers for responding. All the best.

Mal.
PaulScott
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 2

You could technically bypass DHCP and manually assign the two devices's the same IP in the network and that would work - so long as they aren't switched on at the same time. You'll end up with an IP conflict if they're on at the same time.