cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I'm switching from ADSL2+ to FTTC VDSL2 Unlimited Fibre. I need recommendations secure gear.

error404

Hi, I'm switching from ADSL2+ to FTTC VDSL2 Unlimited Fibre. I need recommendations secure gear.

Hi!

I've been with Plusnet for many years, first as dial-up ( remember that? ) then adsl, now finally switching to Fibre (up to 38mb package) at the end of this month.

I need help finding a good secure configurable modem / firewall / wifi router!

Yes, I know I'm about to be sent a Plusnet HH5, but it doesn't really cut it in terms of security.

I'm ok with using the HH5 initially just to get the line settled, but I'd like to switch it out asap.

Let me explain what I'm looking for:

Currently I'm using ( ADSL ) a Netgear DGN2000 ( modem / router / firewall ) and it's fantastic for the ADSL line.

I get consistently fast/maximum ADSL2 attainable speed, and very rarely drop-out ( maybe once a couple of months, but it auto-reconnects no problems ) The router is locked down pretty well with lots and lots! of self-configured firewall settings and IP address and website blocks, ( site url's, ip's, and keywords )

I want and need to be able to find a VDSL2 Broadcom chipped Modem/Router/Firewall

that has the features and abilities of the Netgear DGN2000. ( list below )

Broadcom chipset ( for stability )

Ability to BLOCK ( in/out access ) named websites, either via actual website name or IP ( for instance, bbc.co.uk )

There are quite a few websites and ip's to block from being able to be reached out to.

Same goes for port blocking and forwarding TCP/IP ( in/out ) since I currently block all known malicious outgoing ports, in case I ever got a virus/trojan, it would be unable to get past the router outbound services set etc ), but thankfully I've never had any virus issues since using the netgear DGN2000 locked down as well as it is.

I need to be able to open some ports temporarily for games, IP security cameras etc ( not brilliant here, but my cameras insist on being able to access the manufacturers server otherwise they do not work or are able to be monitored via PC app or via home Wifi connection to smartphone )

I currently have, and would like to retain the ability to name/restrict wifi access not only by WPA2 but device also MAC addresses, so devices I allow connection to my internet need my wifi password as well as need to be on my allowed MAC address list.

Finally, this is pretty remote chance but have to ask...

My DGN2000 can have up to 4 custom named broadcastable SSID's simultaneously, and I use this feature currently so that I can group and assign different SSID's and passwords ( all 4 have separate passwords ) for devices. i.e. Laptops, Phones, IP Sec Cams etc , separating them from each other as much as possible.

I've seen some TP-Link's have a "Guest Mode", so this is kind of the direction I need, but it's only one additional simultaneous SSID, whereas I'd ideally be looking for more.

Main PC is wired to modem/router, everything else is wireless and is low traffic with little to no clashes.

The house isn't huge but the walls are red brick and partitions are mortar and lat? ( 1950's build )

My current wifi signal within the house is ok, but drops off quite fast in the garden ( has LOS to router which is on a windowsill upstairs and about 1.5 metre from master socket ), so a better range there would be great for summer in the garden ( we're only talking 20 metres open air LOS max )

Any ideas anyone?  I've looked at lots of manufacturer websites, user manuals and read many 'reviews'  but my head is just spinning now and I'm running out of time.

The budget is around anything up to a max of £180, but obviously I'd prefer to pay less. 

I look forward to your replies!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

5 REPLIES 5
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Hi, I'm switching from ADSL2+ to FTTC VDSL2 Unlimited Fibre. I need recommendations secure gear.

I've had a Draytek 2860 for a while and been very happy with it.

However it is not cheap and isn't a Broadcom chipset (as far as I know).

There is a helpful list here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0

however it is now a bit dated.

Some people have bought TP-Link products which are excellent value but may not have everything you want.

If Netgear have a recent product that suits you it may work in the same way as your current device and ease the transition.

I am the satisfied customer....
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Hi, I'm switching from ADSL2+ to FTTC VDSL2 Unlimited Fibre. I need recommendations secure gear.

Get a cheap OpenReach VDSL modem off Ebay and continue using your current router.

Brian

markhawkin
Pro

Hello Brian, I wondered about that but I don't think that the DGN2000 has a "WAN" Ethernet port.

I had an Openreach Modem and Draytek 2820 for a while and that worked OK, I wanted more Ethernet ports and a "one box" solution so went for the 2860 in the end.

error404

You're correct Mark, it doesn't have a WAN port.

I'll take all of your suggestions into consideration.

The Draytek suggestion might be a solution if it has WAN etc 

I'll just have to see what speeds my DGN2000 can cope with after being fed by that.

I'm not tempted to put the DGN2000 behind the Plusnet HubOne since it appears most peoples complaints in the forums revolve around the HubOne's line stability and disconnection issues.

I'll give this thread an update after I've found a working solution, just in case it can help others in a similar predicament.

Cheers guys!

markhawkin
Pro

Hello "error404",

You can't put your DGN2000 "behind" the Plusnet HubOne you need to replace it with the HubOne as if their LAN ports were connected you would get DHCP etc. "fighting" and stuff wouldn't work.

The cheap option of an openreach modem and a Draytek 2820 will do at least most of what you want but is two boxes. I guess you might pay £50 for the lot from ebay.

You could then decide whether a one box solution for £200 plus is worth the money.