Did you mean: 

Help with my DrayTek 2832 please

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Help with my DrayTek 2832 please

Theres a few 2860s here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/minetwork-services/m.html?item=283876258389&hash=item421857f255%3Ag%3AGwc...

@Whitemonk The 2862 is quite expensive., as I said above ,mid you dont need load balancing and vpn tunneling, the the2762 is much cheaper.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Whitemonk
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

@markhawkin  and @MisterW 

Thanks for your commiserations! Actually, I think I'm closer to Bart's granddad's age than Homer's 🙄

I looked on Amazon and there was one 2860 left with one seller - I bought it! The 2832 (bought via Amazon) is already packed up and return label printed.

I may need to use VPN in the future, so the 2762 was not in the frame, and yes, the price of a 2862 was a bit heavy.

The difference between the 2860 and 2832, including return postage, is less than £15, assuming I get a full refund on the 2832. So I got off lightly. It is the non-wireless one, same as the 2832, but it does have the two extra LAN ports which I can definitely make use of.

If the moderator doesn't close this thread, then I'll be back in a week or so to report back.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Whitemonk  threads don't get closed around here.

We'll await your return with the 2860...

NB you might even be able to change the thread title to 'Help with my Draytek 2860 please' 😀

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Whitemonk
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

@MisterW  Amazon gave me Friday as the delivery date for the 2860, which was changed to Tuesday and finally arrived on Monday. Lucky I'm still on self-isolation.

I had one scare over this purchase. It was quoted by the seller as being the last one. When I was checking the order to keep track of it, I noticed the description had changed. It stated that it was Annex B. The picture showed a RJ11 socket, not a RJ45 one for LAN1!

Although the box looked a little tired on the outside when it arrived, it said Annex A on the label. Unpacking it, there was a product label on the underside which said Annex A and there was a RJ11 socket on the front for LAN1. Installation was go!

My time with the 2832 was not wasted, as the menu layout of the 2860 looked identical. In less than half an hour, I had a steady DSL light and SHOWTIME in the Status display. Phase one was complete! Plusnet's Hub One router now disconnected and put in its box.

Phase two was the rearrangement of my cabling to plug Virgin's Hub 3 in modem mode into WAN2. That needed 'scheduling', which happened yesterday morning, when my wife took the 2832 to the Post Office. I was rewarded with a steady WAN2 light and a glass of wine at dinner. Phase two was complete!  My trusty Netgear R7000 was now disconnected and put in its box.

Most of our stuff is wired, but phones, a laptop and tablet or two and printers needed WiFi so I pressed my BT Whole Home disks back into service, which has reduced my SSID count to one. InSSIDer helped me choose the best channels.

Phase three is learning more about the 2860 (944 page online manual) to help me get the best out of our kit.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Excellent news😀

The drayteks all seem to have very similar gui interfaces, some just have more functions than others.

Trying to think what facilities I use on mine:-

Setting different DNS servers , Opendns instead of the PN ones

Wireless scheduling ( although that doesnt apply to you )

I also have an ipsec vpn tunnel configured to connect to the office, although it's not on permanently.

I'm sure theres more but cant think of them at the moment...

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Whitemonk 

With two WAN connections, rather than the manual I would look at the Draytek support articles.

You may need to register (which seems harmless).

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-load-balancing

for balancing between two connections. You could also make the TV use one connection (first choice) for streaming but computers to prefer the other one.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-8021qvlan

for VLAN setup if (for example) you want a "work" computer to not see "home" devices.

90% of what it does you won't have an application for but the 10% will be very useful.

Also, make sure you are on the latest firmware. There was a security fix a year or two back (for a vulnerability common to  many routers) so you want to be after that version.

Before making significant changes (and once you have lots of reserved IP addresses) config backups are a good idea.

Finally, Enjoy !

I am the satisfied customer....