Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with my DrayTek 2832 please

FIXED
Whitemonk
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Help with my DrayTek 2832 please

I wanted to have a dual WAN router for fallback, so I chose a DrayTek Vigor 2832 for the purpose.

I also wanted to avoid any possible 'ALG' problems with VOIP.

My Plus One (ADSL) will be replaced with LAN1 on the DrayTek and my VM Hub 3 in Modem Mode will plug into WAN2.

The Hub 3 was already working well with a Netgear router and my SIP phone was okay too.

The Hub 3 works okay connected to WAN2.

However, LAN1 is not picking up my Plusnet service. It cycles though training/ready/fail.

I tried the Broadband Troubleshooter but gave up when it asked if my BT modem green light was on......

The relevant bits in the LAN1 setup are:

VPI     0

VCI    38

Encapsulating type    VC MUX

Protocol     PPPoA

Username  The same one as in the Hub One

Password   The same as the one I log into my Plusnet Broadband account with

I've checked through other threads, but I was just wondering if I've missed anything else obvious.

Tags (4)
20 REPLIES 20
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Help with my DrayTek 2832 please

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Whitemonk   those settings look fine to me.

Check that you do have @plusdsl.net after the username.

Are you using the dsl cable that came with the draytek ?

Maybe check the firmware on the 2832 , that it's the uk one.

I used to use a 2830 on PN adsl and it worked fine.

Edit: just noticed on your post that you say it cycles through train/ready/fail , that sounds like its getting dsl sync then failing authentication. Double check the username and password

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Whitemonk
Dabbler

Thanks for getting back on this.

Yes - I did swap the dsl cable as the Plusnet one was a two wire job and the DrayTek came with a four way one! Also the firmware as delivered is the same as the current one on Draytek's website and it came with a UK power supply. I also went for the non-wifi one as I may go down the new WiFi 6 route in the future.

I was wondering on the authentication issue.

I'm pretty sure I've typed in the username right - my account name followed by @plusdsl.net.

How is the password authenticated? If I had changed my Plusnet account password (I may have done sometime in the distant past), will that be reflected during the Plus One's router's password?

Whitemonk
Dabbler

@Strat Apologies for posting in the wrong sub forum

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Whitemonk if you changed the password then you will need to use the new one.

Itsvtye same one that you use to access the member portal. The hub one will automatically pick up the updated one when it is reset.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Whitemonk
Dabbler

@MisterW  I bit the bullet and reset the 2832 and changed my account password (while the Hub One was connected and in use as well) and started again. Sadly, no change. And the Hub One still plods on.

This is my first DrayTek and this model seemed to be one of the few that fitted the bill. However, even though I was aware that DrayTeks aren't for the fainthearted, I got one. I had no problem in setting up WAN2 with my Hub 3, so I have to assume that the box is working okay, but I do need to confirm that the DSL bit works too, before sending it back.

I do have a TP-Link TD-W8980 from my TalkTalk days, so I'm going to try and fire that up tomorrow to confirm that Plusnet settings work on another piece of kit and report back.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Whitemonk  trying another router is a good idea, it will confirm you've got the username/password correct ( or not )

From your earlier post I concluded that the 2832 was getting dsl sync, can you confirm the dsl led was on ?

Btw probably not a good idea to drop the connection too often, the DLM might treat it as a line fault and reduce the speed!

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Firstly @Whitemonk to check, it is ADSL not VDSL (fibre) you have as the Hub One is generally used on VDSL (fibre).

I used a Draytek 2820 on Plusnet for a few years very successfully so I'm sure your 2832 will work.

From https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

It asks for: Use:
Broadband username or login name yourusername@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation 'PPPoA' or 'PPP over ATM'
Password The password you use to log in to the Member Centre
Virtual Path Identifier (VPI) 0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) 38
Multiplexing method 'VC Based' or 'VCMUX' or 'VC-Multiplexing'

I don't think it was much harder than that.

One thing to consider, if you have two WAN connections there are various ways of configuring them. Try Plusnet without the Virgin connection plugged in, you may find it won't connect until it needs to.

I've a "3" dongle as a backup on my Draytek 2860 and that isn't active (connected) until the main connection is down. 

If I had a similar WAN1/WAN2 setup to yours I suspect the VDSL wouldn't dial until the Ethernet connection had gone.

I am the satisfied customer....
Whitemonk
Dabbler

@markhawkin  The product I have from Plusnet is Unlimited Fibre - the 30 mb/s one. I don't have a lead going to the red socket on the Hub One (which is where I assume a lead from a BT modem would go) but have a RJ11 lead going to the grey DSL socket, so I assumed that I was on ADSL. Have I blundered at the first hurdle? Judging by the link you sent, I could well be on VDSL so I have entered the wrong parameters into my 2832. There is a bit of Homer Simpson in me 😕

I'll use the VDSL parameters and have another go when the Plusnet connection is free and report back.

Whitemonk
Dabbler

@MisterW  Looks like @markhawkin  could have solved this one 😁 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Whitemonk certainly looks like it. I did wonder about Fibre with you having a Hub one, but you had said it was ADSL so I just assumed you had got the Hub one for some other reason.

If you're on Unlimited fIbre then it is a VDSL connection.

I'm afraid you have a problem with the 2832 though, it won't work on a VDSL connection via the DSL port, it's an ADSL only modem.

If you want a Draytek router with dual WAN and VDSL support, then you need to be looking at the 2860 or 2862 ( although maybe the 2762 will suffice? )

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, the 2762 has VDSL support and will do dual WAN and failover but won't do load-balancing or VPN tunneling.

Check the product comparison here https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison/router-comparison

Whitemonk
Dabbler

Fix

So my minor Homer moment is a major one ☹️

I have three options:

Option 1 - Ask Plusnet to downgrade me to ADSL.

Option 2 - Get a 2862 or look at other manufacturers.

Option 3 - Stay as I am and swap plugs when either goes down.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Whitemonk 

Personally I would look for a second hand Draytek 2860. I don't think you will now find a new one.

Be careful as different versions have different facilities (WiFi etc.) but for me a 6 LAN port device has been extremely handy.

Each LAN port can be made logically separate from others (using Draytek's VLAN implementation).

If you sold your 2832 you may make some of the cost back.

I am the satisfied customer....