cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Netgear Arlo wireless IP camera and Plusnet Hub One

FIXED
paulmitchell

Help with Netgear Arlo wireless IP camera and Plusnet Hub One

Hi, seeking help with my Netgear Arlo wireless IP camera system. It was working fine with a previous Plusnet router (the one that was two separate boxes). But since upgrading to the Hub One router it no longer shows. The Arlo camera system comes with its own base station which plugs into the router but the Arlo system displays offline. I phoned Netgear who said I should phone Plusnet, but Plusnet couldn't help. I understand that the Hub One is similar to (or the same as) the BT Hub 5 but an Internet search still reveals no answer. I'd rather not have to spend money on a new router if there is a way of configuring this to work. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Help with Netgear Arlo wireless IP camera and Plusnet Hub One

Does this link help ?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/My-Arlo-base-station-is-offline-how-can-I-troub...

The Arlo does not seem to stipulate any unique port forwarding requirements, other than port 80 and port 443 must be open on the router.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@paulmitchell,

The hub one has dual band wireless as opposed to the old router which was only single band. Some devices have problems connecting to dual band routers where both bands have the same ssid ( the default on the hub one ). Try separating the bands with different ssids ( instructions for the hh5 here, should be similar for the hub one )  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band... )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Fix

fwiw, I think the cameras connect to the arlo base station, not via wifi to the Hub One.  So I'm not sure if separating the SSID on Hub One will make any difference - worth a try though.

I found this thread which may provide a solution:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/BT-Home-Hub-Infinity-Arlo-SetUp-Help/td-p/967...

I don't have access to a Plus One at the moment, but generic BT Home Hub 5 port forwarding instructions can be found here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8790/~/how-do-i-set-up-port-forwarding-on-my-bt-hub%3...

In step 4 of above guide, I would suggest entering 80-80, 80-80.

In step 6, add 443-443, 443-443.

If I have made a mistake, or if it is known not to work, I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable will correct me.

The only other suggestion is to locate and enable the setting within the Hub One, to allow your arlo base station to use the same IP address every time.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

fwiw, I think the cameras connect to the arlo base station, not via wifi to the Hub One

Oops, missed thatSad Must read more thoroughly

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulmitchell

Thanks for your responses so far.

With regards to port forwarding, on the Plusnet Hub One, when you click through to the port forwarding section, it asks you to choose a device or game from a drop down list. Obviously Netgear Arlo Wireless camera are not on the list (otherwise my problems would be solved!). And without selecting an option, I cannot proceed to ports (as far as I can see). I'll keep looking and following through on the links kindly posted here.

paulmitchell

Thanks Bill, I think your post really helped.

I followed the steps in the link and added a new device with those ports opened.

I also removed the Arlo base station from my account and set it up again as if it were new out of the box. I also swapped the ethernet cable for a different one. Interestingly in the set up process I received a dialogue box saying that the firmware was out of date and would I like to update it. Then, finally, the internet light came on and I was able to sync the cameras and I'm back up and running.

So, thanks Bill and help community for taking the time to respond! I can once again keep an eye on passing cats, the postman, Amazon deliveries and the grumpy next door neighbour.