Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - solid walls & gaming/studying teens

FIXED
Melissa65
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Help - solid walls & gaming/studying teens

We've got the hub one but it's slow and not reaching my son's room where he needs to Teams study - game.  Solid brick house with large extension.  I'm thinking I need to change the router - hopefully without the cost traumatising my husband

I was looking at the Netgear mesh AX1800 with 2 satellites (using Hub one as modem) but don't want to make an expensive mistake or Netgear x800? 

Suggestions appreciated — we could have multiple streamers and gamers at any one time and annexe is through the old external wall. 

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Help - solid walls & gaming/studying teens

@Melissa65  Welcome to the forum.

Regardless of how much money you throw at it you will find it very hard to get what you want over wireless, Can you not install Ethernet cables at least between some of the rooms? It's a lot cheaper and guarantees that you will have no slow downs.

This is my take on your options:  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Melissa65
Hooked

Thanks I will consider this as a long term solution but I was hoping to find one that didn't require assistance from my husband (due to shutdowns he's playing catch up on work) 

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

I'm not a great fan of them, but in some circumstances powerline Ethernet extenders are useful and yours may be such a case.

https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/networking-and-wi-fi/powerline-adapters/c:30071/

Argos are generally jolly good at taking things back if they are no good so you could try something from them.

The TP-Link "WiFi extender booster" might do the job.

I am the satisfied customer....
Melissa65
Hooked

Thanks, I managed to improve it (slightly) for my son by moving our current extender. I'm trying a TP link Deco mesh system tomorrow which other people have had success with.

Out of contract with Plusnet now and paying WAY too much so I may be looking for a new supplier after 20 odd years as they aren't communicating with me 🤷‍♀️
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

As you probably know, a change of supplier won't help that much with your WiFi problem although BT's latest Smart Hub is generally a considerable improvement on Plusnet's Hub One.

I've generally managed to get a decent renewal deal from Plusnet and I think they are a reasonable price for the quality of their network. For broadband cheap isn't always best.  

I am the satisfied customer....
Melissa65
Hooked

Yeah I did 4 different speed tests - before & after the router & extender move, wired is all fine.
Unfortunately I missed an offer from Plusnet which I attempted to accept today - network wise there's a couple I'd avoid.
Plusnet are the only company who haven't immediately hit the kerb yet following a price hike (I've done gas & electric already this week - not the cheapEST but a cheapER one with good feedback! )
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Melissa65 

You are going about getting a decent price from Plusnet the wrong way. The trick is to go on to a comprison site and get the cheapest price for the same service from a mainstream competitor, Vodaphone is a good starting point. Armed with this figure ring the customer options team on 0800 013 2632 then the  'I'm thinking of leaving' option (this tends to be answered quite quickly!). Quote the competitors price and ask for it to be matched. You might need to haggle but chances are you will end up with an equal or better deal then emailed 'special offers'

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

I would give this powerline adapter a go,  I use one of these from the router to the kitchen at opposite diagonals of an all brick house.  A netgear extender on the landing covers bedrooms but either of these can be positioned to suit.

You can get additional powerline adapters with wifi and plug them in other places but a 3 plug kit does seem to be disproportionately expensive.

You can get a free Netgeat wifi analyser app for your phone and check signal strength all round the house to help move things around.

Melissa65
Hooked

Fix
Thanks to everyone for their help. Ive tried the powerline adaptors with average results due to old electrics and multiple circuits.

I went for the TP link deco M5 - probably not the cheapest solution but I'm now getting 70+mbps in every corner of the house. Had a few wobbles with the sky q freezing but with a couple of tweaks that seems to be resolved.