cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting up Netgear router

davie1

Help setting up Netgear router

Hi ,

I had a Netgear N600 ( DGND3700 ) ADSL-2 dual band router with the old standard broadband . I switched to Fibre and Plusnet sent me a new router . Since then I have had constant problems with the wifi connection dropping. Did all the suggested fixes etc and was even sent a new router. Still issues. I think this plusnet router is not unto the job. I have tried to switch back to my trusty old router and can't get it to set up. Have put my plusnet username and password in correctly then pppoe connection type( even tried pppoa ). It just won't connect . Tried connection wizard too. 

Can any one help please.

Also I am considering a wifi separate booster as a fix. any recommendations 

9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Help setting up Netgear router

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre  to my router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

A ADSL only router will not work on a VDSL (FTTC) Lina.

davie1

Thank you for the response.

I assume the most cost effective solution is a wifi extender rather than new router?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @davie1 

@Mustrum is correct - if your 3rd party Netgear is an ADSL router it will not work on a VDSL (Fibre) connection.

Thanks, 

MoR

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

You could always turn off the Hub One wireless, configure your old router as an access point and connect it to the Hub One. A google search will tell you how to do this.

This will cost you nothing.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

I'm not familiar with the Netgear router you previously used, but for ADSL I had a couple of Netgear DG834s over the years. They are not made to work with fibre, so when I found the Plusnet router I was sent wasn't up to the job I bought a fibre compatible Netgear Nighthawk to plug into the BT fibre modem. (There are now other models that connect directly to a fibre connection.)
It's possible that you may still be able to use yours for wi-fi if you set it up in 'bridge' mode with DHCP turned off, connected to the Plusnet router by ethernet (Plusnet router's wi-fi can be turned off once it's all set up) and allowing that to allocate the IP address instead. (I didn't try that with mine as I would have ended up with the BT modem plugged into the Plusnet router, plugged into the DG834 and anyway, I wanted to upgrade to stronger wi-fi for where we now live!)
Just looking and I found this, which describes exactly how someone has set up a Netgear N600 in a similar situation.
http://damien.co/general/using-netgear-n600-dgnd3700v1-extend-home-network-8747
Hope this helps.

Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
davie1

Hi Mad Moggies and all,
All thanks very much for the comments and assistance. I will look into setting up my old router as wifi only to the plusnet router.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@davie1, your issues could be related to a known problem affecting a recent software update for the Hub One. I've pushed the latest version to your router that fixes this issue, interested to know if it's helped?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵