cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help configuring my own router?

chturne

Help configuring my own router?

I have spent the whole day trying to figure out what magical configuration I need to make OpenWRT work with plusnet DSL with a tp-link ac1750 router. I am new to networking but want to learn, hence why I'm replacing the opaque plastic box with a decent router that I've flashed the latest release of OpenWRT onto.

I found some information on how to configure ADSL here: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/isp-configurations#adsl2  but it "doesn't work", in fact, adding this bricks the interfaces in OpenWRT.

According the specs of my router (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c7/?utm_medium=select-local#specificat...) the default firmware only supports Dynamic IP/Static IP/PPPoE/
PPTP(Dual Access)/L2TP(Dual Access)/BigPond as WAN types, since PPPoA is not there, does it mean I'm doomed?

Does anyone have a working configuration / advice? I've read many posts on this forum, but all in vein. The most interesting were the people who actually "rooted" the Plusnet provided hubs and got OpenWRT running there. I'm just trying to have a more configurable home network to learn with, I don't want to buy any soldering irons just yet 🙂

I've attached a picture of my wall socket, I found some people posting that these types of sockets are bad news. I don't know if it's relevant. I had no idea there was so much tech in that boring looking wall socket...

9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Help configuring my own router?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

What are you connecting the router to?

Since it doesn't include a xDSL modem and only has a Etnernet WAN connection (generally referred as a 'cable router')

It needs to be connected to a seperate xDSL modem (or router with a integrated xDSL modem, and  preferably one supports modem/bridge mode otherwise you can run into "double NAT" issues) via Ethernet

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@chturne 

Methinks that if you are flashing router software without a working knowledge of modems, routers, combined modem routers and how each combination are configured then you are trying to run before you can walk.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

chturne

> What are you connecting the router to?

I am connecting this router directly to the phone socket pictured above. What's weird is the DSL connector does fit nicely in this "Ethernet WAN" port. I am starting to suspect this is a dead-end, since like you said it looks like I've bought a cable router 😕

> preferably one supports modem/bridge mode otherwise you can run into "double NAT" issues

I wonder if the plusnet hub can support this mode of operation. I read about double NAT on the OpenWRT wiki and decided to not go this way, even though I did get an internet connection doing this approach.

chturne

Methinks that if you are flashing router software without a working knowledge of modems, routers, combined modem routers and how each combination are configured then you are trying to run before you can walk.

Any advice how I can walk toward my goal then?

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@chturne wrote:

I wonder if the plusnet hub can support this mode of operation. I read about double NAT on the OpenWRT wiki and decided to not go this way, even though I did get an internet connection doing this approach.

It doesn't!

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@chturne 

You will need a modem or a router which supports bridge mode (often called modem only mode).

This device must be used in addition to tge TP link cable modem, to interface the TP links WAN ethernet port to the telephone line.

One source is ebay. Search for BT modem.

If you want more technical info see the Kitz modem forum  https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/board,5.0.html

If you are adventureous the Hub one can be reflashed to run openwrt...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Running-OpenWRT-on-the-Plusnet-Hub-One...

If that is too adventureous, Hub ones can be bought from ebay already reflashed.

Search for openwrt.

AnthillMob

As above, you'll need a VDSL modem to put in between the *DSL socket on the BT line and the WAN port on the Archer.

I bought a 2nd hand BT Huawei Echolife HG612 v3B, sourced from Ebay (around £30, other modems are available), and I left the BT supplied firmware intact. Be sure to get the v3B model if you choose this one.

I have on this forum an article describing my working configuration on OpenWRT:
- https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Working-OpenWRT-on-LinkSys-WRT1900AC-with-BT-Huawei-Echolife.... It should be similar to what you require.
chturne

Thanks all, that information has unblocked me here, much appreciated!