cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help added hive camera made internet unstable/ slow

Catpuss
Grafter

Help added hive camera made internet unstable/ slow

Added Hive camera about a week ago, all running great but iPad running bit slow rebooted , then hive bulb stuck to on, camera working heating intermittent , been the phone 40 min wait time everyday since Thursday changed channels reset ping, deleted bulb deleted camera then able to attach build to hive hub then added and left alone they booked engineer visit didn’t” tell until afterwards I may be liable for £65. Within 24 hrs cancelled engineer visit as internet had been stable overnight. Put face plate on within 10 mins unstable again. From what I read the router is rubbish , only got 7 items using WiFi . Any suggestions? ......plusnet replied by email  considering the visit had only been booked 24hrs previously 

Customer called to cancel appointment as she has a stable connection, informed of extra charges may still be applicable.

19 REPLIES 19
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Help added hive camera made internet unstable/ slow

Catpuss
Grafter

Thanks yes think this is what I will try thanks for the heads up

Catpuss
Grafter

Anyone suggest replacement router thinking of but home hub 5 from eBay wrong move? 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Catpuss I would suggest the HH6 - a much better piece of equipment, and there are plenty of instructions as regards set-up on the router board on this forum.

John
Catpuss
Grafter

Brilliant seems like lots are locked to BT are they unusable with plus net? What sort of price range should I be paying? Thanks for the input much appreciated. It”s a mine field out there. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

They may appear to be locked, but as I understand it - I'm not a router expert - they can be easily unlocked by following the guides I referred to earlier. Price-wise, about £20-£30.

John
Catpuss
Grafter

Thanks just looking at one now on eBay for £22 good to get a heads up. Many thanks

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Catpuss 

I had been suffering very very slow Fibre Extra speeds for  a long time now., 15-24mbps

Plusnet checked the line & said it was delivering around 50mbps

I enquired about an upgrade on PLusnet Hub one, but told that is all they had.

Have changed my Router to a TP Link, VR600 v3 AC2100, 1733Mbps + 300Mbps 

Amazon cost £45 & 3 year warranty have added a plug in mesh Tp link Re300 upstairs £28

The speed is amazing has gone from around 15/24mbps to an amazing 47Mbps! sometimes reaching 50mbps, with 10mbps upload

No hanging about now, or watching the hard drive circle going round doing nothing 

Able to watch Netflix now without any issues

I too have the Hive system and & hive indoor view and Ring doorbell, superior wifi connections now

Hint I kept my SSID & passwords the same so everything reconnected without issues

cost of router in the sale was £45     

Catpuss
Grafter

Thanks for your reply , yes plusnet did mention TP link, if I struggle on eBay Amazon may be my next point of call thanks for the heads up,  👍🏻

Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Only trouble with EBay you can’t always rely on stuff having a warranty, whereas amazon you can get refund easier or do a warranty claim
Good luck on whatever you do, bearing in mind Boxing Day sales not too far away!
The next model up to mine is approx £100 just now with £24 off
Catpuss
Grafter

Thanks so much, never thought of a warranty . I might well wait. Many thanks for your input

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Catpuss 

All Smarthubs can be used on both ADSL and fibre Plusnet accounts. Setting instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Is your Hive updating to the cloud? If so bear in mind that if you are uploading loads of data at ADSL snails upload speed then this can affect other devices trying to download. This can be a major issue with a 2704N hub as they suffer badly from buffer bloat. What happens is that if you are uploading the downloading handshakes required by other devices get delayed, this can screw up the download speed despite having spare bandwidth.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Catpuss
Grafter

I have no idea if it is uploading to cloud, still trying to source a BT hub but thanks for the input . Sure I will pick your brains again if I run into trouble again. Many thanks