cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to reboot my router multiple times a day.

FIXED
thusband
Hooked

Having to reboot my router multiple times a day.

I'm with John Lewis who provided the Plusnet 2704N router. I'll lose internet connection and have to reboot at least every day. The reboot gets me connected again but also points to a router problem. I'd like to buy a better router. Does Plusnet have a recommended router buy list? I can live with the 6 Mbps download speed but the constant disconnects are not good.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: Having to reboot my router multiple times a day.

Hi @thusband,

Thanks for getting in touch, I appreciate your query.

Please can you contact John Lewis Broadband on 0800 022 3300 and they will be able to check your service and advise you what router options you have. They're available between 09:00 - 18:00 daily.

Thanks - LF

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Sorry but whilst John Lewis broadband is serviced by Plusnet they are run as a separate organisation. Therefore Plusnet did not supply your router, John Lewis dis.

Having said that, whilst Plusnet staff will not be able to officially help you the rest of us are a friendly mob who will try to help. If this is really a router problem the the budget solution is to buy a BT Smarthub 6 from Ebay, where you can pick one up for around £30. The way to set them up to work on Plusnet will be found at the top of the router board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

thusband
Hooked

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to John Lewis support and they mentioned the BT router too. They also said any ADSL router would work. Guess I'll shop around a bit.

thusband
Hooked

"The way to set them up to work on Plusnet will be found at the top of the router board."

Sorry, top of the router board? Is that in this forum?

Thanks again.

Baldrick1

@thusband 

Sorry, I had a caller and needed to finish my last post quickly. This link should take you to the right place https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

I suspect that setting your JL account would be the same except for the @plusdsl.net bit. I also mistyped the cost of a Smarthub 6. You can get then for £20 or less. They are better routers than Plusnet offer. If you can get a Business version these are even better as you can set things such as your choice of DNS server with these. Look out for the FTTP version. These have a Red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets. I have proved that with the current firmware these do work OK on FTTC but you do lose a LAN socket so are best avoided.

Follow the instructions and it will work. Some people make the mistake of plugging in the DSL cable before instructed, resulting in claims that it doesn't work.

Come back if you have problems.

Moderator and Customer

thusband
Hooked

Thanks very much for the link. It doesn't sound too difficult to get going. I need two maybe three LAN connections so the business version sounds like the way to go.

If I went with the business hub, FTTP, would I follow step 12, 'Public Wi-fi’ is set to ‘BT Wi-Fi’ and that ‘Public Wi-fi active’ is set to ‘NO’?

Sorry, one more question. You say the FTTP version works on FTTC but, 'on FTTC you do lose a LAN socket so are best avoided.' Avoid what? Using that LAN socket?

Thanks again for helping.

Baldrick1

Fix

@thusband 

There are both residential and business versions of both FTTC and FTTP Smarthubs. The business versions have more accessible settings than the residential models.

The FTTP version is adapted to be used with a separate modem. To achieve this one of the LAN socket is used as a WAN port, hence the WAN label. For more information see here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-FTTP-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-FTTC-Service/m-p/165176....

JL do not offer an FTTP service so your connection is either FTTC or ADSL. As this is the case you are best off getting the FTTC version, which also work on ADSL, (which I assume that you have as you have a 2704 router). These are much more plentiful on the likes of Ebay and give you usage of all four LAN sockets.

If you want a one line reply: buy either a residential or business Smarthub 6, which has four yellow LAN sockets with no WAN label.

I hope that this clears up any confusion.

Moderator and Customer

thusband
Hooked

Yes I'm clear now. Again, many thanks.