cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having issues with Billion 8800NL R2 setup

saab9
Hooked

Having issues with Billion 8800NL R2 setup

Just got the new Billion 8800NL R2 router.

Tried setting it up by looking up at these settings primarily:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Plusnet-setup-parameters-for-Billion-BiPAC-8800NL-mode...

And nothing.

Whenever I reset the router to factory defaults and try to set it up via quick setup, upon apply, the router keeps cycling back in itself and eventually fails to verify the changes.

I tried doing manual setup, again same thing.

Now, I accepted the possibility I might have messed up the password, but I tried to input different variations that could have been possibly used, and again nothing.

I am stuck, and I have no idea how to proceed.

Is the router faulty, or is my setup faulty?

7 REPLIES 7
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Having issues with Billion 8800NL R2 setup

The password used for connection is also the password for the member centre. Can you log in there?
saab9
Hooked

Yes, I can easily log into the members area.

But for some reason, the router is not accepting my settings.

It just hangs on the 'Please wait for the router to apply settings'. It flashes a bit, then continues ad infinitum until FAILURE message appears.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Sounds like you have a faulty router to me.
As you have already factory reset it and started again, and it doesn't accept the changes you are making to the set up, it's almost certainly borked.
saab9
Hooked

Great... just what I needed.

First Amazon botches the delivery and extends it by a week due to the courier only to receive a router that doesn't work.

I'll see if I can play around with the router a bit more today after work, and if it fails, I'll ask for a refund.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

are you on fibre

saab9
Hooked

No... I'm on regular ADSL

saab9
Hooked

News update.

I managed to set up the router properly.

I made several changes and I forgot the exact order.

Namely, I updated the router firmware to latest and reset it to factory defaults, then manually edited the existing WAN PPPOA and changed it to PPPOE with necessary settings (without creating a new one via quick setup). 

The encapsulation mode is set to LLC/SNAP-BRIDGING while other settings such as 802.1P Priority sits at -1 (at the moment) and 802.1Q VLANID sits also at -1.

I can't remember if I tried setting them  to 0 and 101 respectively (I think I might have, but why would this change in the interim, I don't know).

IPV6 for this service is at ENABLED.

That along with my login details of course and Authentication method set to CHAP - applied the settings.

After that, I went to Quick Start and I tried setting that up by simply using ADSL (as opposed to VDSL) and of course making sure encapsulation and other things match the manual WAN settings.

The Internet started working at that point.

Tested it, and the speeds went up.

This router certainly seems to have several steps through which one has to go through, and factory reset, followed by manual setup (first) and then the Quick Start seem to be needed

I don't think Firmware upgrade is necessary, but since I do like to keep things up to date, I didn't think it would hurt.

I hope this might help any future 8800NL R2 owners who try to set it up with Plusnet.