cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else noticed new router problems?

Tivvy
Hooked

Has anyone else noticed new router problems?

I had fibre broadband installed at my mum's house about 6 months ago and the plusnet router was absolutely fine. I then installed fibre at my house (in the same town). I had endless problems connecting - even though the speedtest was fine. Everything took forever to load. Plusnet carried out every test known to man. In addition, they sent an engineer to look at the wiring. The engineer said that it appeared to be a router problem. I took the router from my mum's house and tried that out and I didn't have any problems at all. Also, I noticed when I tried the router from my house at her house it was a real problem - the problems had transferred, which indicated it was the router. So I asked Plusnet for another router - which they sent. I have exactly the same problems as before. When I took it to my mum's house it also wouldn't work - everything took forever to load. It doesn't make sense that only one router works effectively and two other new ones are problematic. I am now wondering if Plusnet have a faulty batch of routers. I think it would be worth checking this out. Also, has anyone else out there had this problem?

13 REPLIES 13
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Has anyone else noticed new router problems?

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems with your router.

I've run some tests on the line today which have shown that the circuit is out of sync on your end. Please give the router a factory reset and let us know how you get on with your connection. In regards to your post on the Ticket on your account, there are no other Fibre routers which we currently supply.

We are aware of an issue with the 5GHz band with our Plusnet hub One routers, however you are able to separate both the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands by going onto your Plusnet hub One Manager.

As I said however, the router, at the moment, does not appear to be authenticated to the account, so please let us know if you have any trouble in logging into your router, and we'll be happy to help.

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Tivvy
Hooked

When you tested my line the router wasn't even plugged in.  I am now onto my 3rd router and have done all the tests you mentioned - and more. There is absolutely nothing left to try. Please can you explain why one of your hub one routers works in my house perfectly that you sent to my mum's address 6 months ago. Yet the last 3 routers you sent don't work. It is nothing to do with the phone line/ wiring/the configuration/my laptop. It is your routers. I know this is a problem - and I would have far more respect for transparency from Plusnet that this can be an issue - as I have since learned from so much contact with your technical department. I strongly suggest you test some of these routers as clearly there are a recent batch that don't appear to be fit for purpose. I did think about just taking my mum's Plusnet router, but none of the new routers work in her house either. That proves beyond doubt it is a router problem. Even the BT engineer who came to check the phone lines said his phone wouldn't work in my house. I have been unable to use my laptop or my phone for the last month.  The thing that really annoys me is that I have been made to feel that the problem was always at my end. Sometimes you have to own responsibility. This issue has dragged on for 1 month. And I should not be paying for a service that I am not receiving - I'm sure you agree.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Tivvy 

I'm really sorry for the issues you've had. 

If the router works in your house but not your mum's house then that'd suggest there's nothing wrong with the router. 

I've done some digging and I believe I've identified the issue. 

The problem is there are two connections running in the connection logs on the account. Normally this isn't an issue at all however as there is a static IP, this is causing an IP conflict because two people can't have the same IP simultaneously so it causes a variety of odd throughput and data transfer issues. 

This may either be an error our side (A), or if one of the routers we've sent to your mum is currently in use on somebody else's Plusnet broadband connection (B), it'd have auto-setup to go through the account it was ordered from. 

If (A) is true, can you ask your mum or you can with her permission change the account password by going Here? I'd recommend then logging into the router settings by following the below steps to reconnect with the new password.

1. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254

2. Click on the Advanced Settings tab

3. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button

4. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Broadband tab

5. If there's a Disconnect button, click that

6. Change the username to the broadband username in the format of username@plusdsl.net If you can't remember this I'd check for any emails we've sent you for example an email with you bill on as we'd add the username to the top.

7. Type in the account password, this can be reset here: https://www.plus.net/forgotpassword/ if needed.

8. Hit the Connect button.

If however (B) is true, then you don't need to change the password or do anything on your mum's account, but the person who's using one of the routers we've sent her will need to carry out the above 8 steps.

Let me know how you get on, if you can also PM me the serial number of the router currently in use I can update our records however you'll need to go through one of the above steps still.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Tivvy

I'm just following up, interested on how you got on with this?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Tivvy
Hooked

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. My mother has her own router - no- one is using her router. She has her own username and password . She got it six months ago and it works fine. I now have 3 plusner routers (all recent). I know how to put in usernames and passwords - they all have my unique username and password, and none of them work in my house. No-one else is using them.

The interesting thing is that when I tried my mother's router in my house it worked (unlike the 3 routers you sent me). But her router is now back in her house. This was an experiment that I wanted to try as I'm so convinced there's a problem with your recent batch of routers.

This is backed up by a phone call I got from Plusnet by someone who admitted they had a problem with a recent batch of routers which are not compatible with some of the phone exchanges. This is what I've been saying for the last month. It's nothing to do with usernames or passwords - I went through all this weeks ago. 

I did try switching and taking everything out for a day and then trying the router again - but there is no change. I am no further forward. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Tivvy - this idea may cost you £20-£25 but will solve the problem - and give you a better router. Buy a BT HH6 from a well-known auction site beginning with 'e'. Configuration and set-up instructions are stickied at the top of this board.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Tivvy  You are the one who has got the wrong end of the stick. the problem is with your account, not your mother's. That's why her router works at your house and yours doesn't work at all. If @Gandalf  says "there are two connections running in the connection logs on the account" that is the problem, nothing to do with unique usernames and passwords but some other cause, have you given one of your spare routers to someone else for instance, that could cause this issue. You have to accept that this can be diagnosed by Plusnet staff so you need  to cooperate with them to sort it out. As for a batch of incompatible routers being dished out, not likely or there would be many more complaints from other users.  

Tivvy
Hooked

Thank you for you input.

I can assure you I have been co-operating with Plusnet for over 6 weeks now.

No, nobody has any of the routers except me. And yes, I know about the accounts as apparently using different routers caused that according to one of the phone calls, which is why I was told to switch it off for several hours to see if that might help. I have been sent 3 routers so far. I only had Plusnet fibre installed 6 weeks ago and from day 1 it has been problematic. I didn't have any issues until it was installed. I think it's better just to deal with Plusnet direct through the Member centre as this is starting to get really confusing.

Tivvy
Hooked

Many thanks John

That's really good advice 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Tivvy I've reviewed this again and I feel like I do have a fair understanding of the problem. This is likely not an issue with the router itself nor would there be an incompatibility in the way you suggest. The reason why it's working at your house because it wouldn't be going through your mother's account and henceforth the static IP address on the account. Smiley

I can see the password's been changed but as the other connection hasn't dropped yet, it's still causing an issue, so I've manually dropped it now and removed the routers from the hardware management platform. In theory it won't be able to reconnect to your mother's account as it wouldn't know the password you've changed it to. 

Please can you let me know how it goes? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Tivvy
Hooked

Thank you - I am so grateful to you and Gandalf. Yes, you are right and it now works fine. 

Just from a layman's perspective I think one of the main problems is that over the last 6 weeks I have had so many conflicting opinions and advice about what the problem was. I must have spoken to at least 10 people concerning this issue. And I think that just made it more and more confusing as by this point I didn't know what to think anymore. I know it must be difficult, but it would really help if there could be more consistency so you are dealing with the same few people over an issue.

Another point from my perspective is that I thought that I was supposed to only go through the member centre. However, you can wait several days for a response sometimes. I originally came on here out of desperation thinking it was only for other customers who might be able to give me some advice. However, I didn't realise that it is also part of the help centre, and that people like yourself and Gandalf are actually Plusnet staff. So my apologies - but it's rather confusing and not really made clear - especially for people like myself who don't spend hours on the computer every day. But I've actually got far more help on here and would have come here much sooner had I known. So just something to think about maybe and clarify the differences/similarities between the member centre and the forum for Plusnet customers.

Anyway, thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Tivvy 

I'm glad to see that this resolved the problem. Apologies again for how long it's taken to correctly identify and fix the issue.

Our Community Forums are generally for our customers to help each other out but we drop by from time to time. Smiley

As staff, our forum usernames would be in pink or purple, and have the word 'staff' or 'admin' next to it.

I've just added a reply to your support ticket 214057488 with an offer of a goodwill gesture which I hope helps.

Also can you drop me a private message by going Here with the serial number of the router beginning with +081441+ and the first six characters of the MAC address (found from the bottom of the router)?

This would allow me to make sure the correct router's linked to the account. Thanks in advance. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet