cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware advice

draff

Hardware advice

Afternoon,

I'm in the process of being moved over to PN fibre. My current (ADSL) set up consists of an old netgear router (DG 834G) in bridge mode feeding into an ASUS RT-AC87U.

I'd like to keep the Asus router up and running if possible, but understand that I'll need to buy VDSL modem. Or is it easier to ditch the Asus altogether and just use the supplied Plusnet Hub?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Hardware advice

I'd like to keep the Asus router up and running if possible, but understand that I'll need to buy VDSL modem.

Correct. A number of options for a modem :-

1) A BT VDSL modem from ebay , the HG612 ones are much better than the ECI ones

2) Netgear DM200 - about £35

3) TPLink TD-W9970 ( in bridge mode ) - about £30 from Argos

I use the W9970 as a modem in front of my Draytek 2830, no experience of the DM200 or BT modems

As to using the HUB one , like most ISP supplied routers it has limitations, for instance your can't change it's DNS servers...

TBH mine came out of the box to check it powered up and then it went back in!

Good to keep the Hub One as a spare and maybe for troubleshooting.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The easiest is to use the Hub One. You just plug it in and let it configure itself. You may find that it does everything you need. If you are interested in monitoring the fibre WAN performance get a HG612 and unlock it, otherwise either a locked HG612 or ECI modem will do. You will find the full unlocking instructions and replacement firmware download file for the HG612 if you do an online search. It is in the Kitz forum.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

draff

Thanks both for the replies.

I think I'm going to go down the TPLink TD-W9970 route, and keep my RT87U on the go. Re-configuring the houseful of gadgets to a new access point feels slightly daunting...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@draff it's a while since I setup my 9970 but IIRC it's pretty straightforward. There's an example of the quick setup here https://www.ncf.ca/ncf/support/wiki/Modem_Configuration_(DSL)_TP-Link_9970 .

From memory I believe you can select PLUSNET_VDSL from the ISP list which should automatically set the VLAN ID to 101. Then select 'Bridge' as the connection type. You'll probably want to disable wireless as it's useless in modem mode.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.