cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had enough of the hub one router, need suggetsions of way forward??

Bairdyboy1980

Had enough of the hub one router, need suggetsions of way forward??

Hi all,

Been with plusnet for 3 years now. I have roughly 60mb fibre to my house. Return the hub one three times now as its not up to the job! Drop outs, slow speeds intermittently, needs rebooting etc

My house is quite internet intensive. My step sons could be bother 4k gaming while myself and the wife watch 4k netflix etc.

So i was looking at the asus DSL-AC88U. However i cant pick one up for a decent price (ideally want to spend £100-£120 tops). Any suggestions to what VDSL router that can cope with such demands???

Also needs to have parental controls to limit times on each device on the network...

Should i look at a separte modem and a non VDSL router? Any combination suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

Bairdyboy1980
3 REPLIES 3
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Had enough of the hub one router, need suggetsions of way forward??

Welcome to the forums.

A good independent list and discussion is available at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html, the thread is constantly updated.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
tstaddon
Rising Star

Hi,

If you really want to do it on a budget, it is possible to use the Hub One with wireless turned off, and slave it to a gigabit switch or other router.

It's a few years old, but I'm still using this setup with a few differences. The 8980 which is connected to the Hub One by gigabit cable.(We're on fibre now).

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-one-and-TP-link-8-port-Ethernet-switch-issue/m-p/1376750...

The router's ancient enough for me to think about replacing it with a Archer C3150 V2, and the Archer C5400X looks very tempting (teamed gigabit for the NAS, five other gigabit ports to play with), but this was a pretty cheap setup to put together and it still works. 

We've regularly had someone watching 4K Netflix on the telly in the living room, with eight other devices (laptops and phones, PS4 and PS3) also connected, and not noticed. Since replacing the homeplugs I've had no issues whatsoever.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Bairdyboy1980

The question has to be 'how do you know it's the router causing the problem'? I guess that you would be somewhat miffed if you followed a recommendation, spent £100+ and still had the issue.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'