cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB ONE - Restricting WiFI Speed - Extremely Poor Piece of kit

kinger251285

HUB ONE - Restricting WiFI Speed - Extremely Poor Piece of kit

Hi

I signed up to plusnet and was connected around 14 days ago.

So far my experience has been extremely poor.

Was never told initially about the '10 day' learning for the new router therefore received extremely poor speeds for 10 days. Keep in mind the cooling off period is 14 days, how they get away with this with ofcom is beyond me.

When i contact help to find out about why my connection is sooo poor and learn about the '10 day' learning period i am also told that if an engineer is called out i may incur a charge. I kid you not, 'I MAY INCUR A CHARGE' for plus nets poor equipment and service to be explored. 

Nonetheless i ride it out. However since swapping from BT i have been experiencing numerous wireless issues, ranging from apps not updating correctly with push data and connection being generally poor across the whole house, poor signal and poor speeds. We have previously had BT on several occasions for various issues who have run numerous wireless tests throughout the house and have never found an issue (our property is no more than a 6m cube). 

Today after doing some investigation, googling and changing of settings on the router to try and get optimum performance it becomes starkly clear that the router is limiting the connection via wireless. I know im getting 66mb to the router (checked via a wired connection) however im getting 21mb via wireless across numerous devices and via 5ghz.

I get a better speed and smoother connection via 4g. Its soo bad that i couldn't play among us last night on my phone sat 2 metres away from the router. 

Plus net need to sort this and stop restricting their hardware and provide better hardware, whist the poor equipment may be suitable to most casual users they should still provide equipment capable of delivering the speeds they advertise. 

Plus net please reach out to explain how you will resolve this?? 

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: HUB ONE - Restricting WiFI Speed - Extremely Poor Piece of kit

@kinger251285  Welcome to the forum.

Plusnet do not deliberately restrict anything but as BT's budget ISP they supply a budget hub compared with BT Retail's units. The Hub one is an old Home Hub 5A with tweeked firmware.

Many of us use a BT Smarthub 6 on their Plusnet service. If you still have one then try that. Setting instructions are here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@kinger251285 we are not intentionally restricting anything.
There is a know bug that affects the router though and can lead to some of the symptoms you've described. I should be able to help with that, so will try and take a look for you tomorrow...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kinger251285

@Baldrick1 But they are providing poor quality equipment then?

Either way customers should be made aware of this. When you sign up to an ISP it should be abundantly clear that the ISP could be supplying equipment that restricts the advertised download speeds that you should be receiving. I am aware these wont necessarily be the same as a wired connection however a thrid of that is not acceptable. 

kinger251285

@bobpullen If there is a known bug why are plus net shipping them with a known bug? Why are they even still supplying these routers? And even so why is there no compliment slip or email or guide suggesting to update the firmware? In this day and age there is no excuse for poor communication.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@kinger251285 wrote:

@Baldrick1 But they are providing poor quality equipment then?

No, I am suggesting that if you pay a higher price for your broadband service then there is every chance that you will be supplied with a better hub. It's hardly surprising if you think about it.

I'm advocating using the hardware provided by a higher price ISP, bought at a bargain price (unless you already have one), to compensate for the supplied Hub One, which under the hood is an old BT Home Hub 5A with tweeked firmware.

I have little doubt that a firmware update will be released soon, which should help the minority such as yourself who are experiencing this problem. In the meantime Bob is offering to update your hub with a beta release of the firmware.

You cannot update the firmware, it is done remotely by Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@kinger251285 wrote:

@bobpullen If there is a known bug why are plus net shipping them with a known bug? Why are they even still supplying these routers? And even so why is there no compliment slip or email or guide suggesting to update the firmware? In this day and age there is no excuse for poor communication.

I'd warrant the majority of consumer routers have known/acknowledged bugs. Nature of the beast. You work through and fix the issues first and foremost, rather than knee-jerk switch supply - and end up with a different set of bugs Wink

The issue does not affect everybody, and neither are there in instructions that would allow customers to resolve this themselves I'm afraid.

Anyway, I would have pushed a fix to your hub but I can see you have since swapped it out for a BT Smarthub. Let me know if you do go back to the Hub One and I can try again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

kinger251285

@bobpullen

Ive never had this issue with poor hardware or even as you are suggesting buggy hardware from any other provider.

I only disconnected the router and connected the BT router after yet again multiple disconnections sitting 1m away from the router. This was around 16:40 so you've had ample chance to fix this and i got fed up of waiting. 

I get that these things are purchased in bulk and at different times and could be sat in a warehouse for some time. But it wouldn't take much to push a firmware update for all new connections anyway regardless of whether an issue is showing. That would be what i class as really good customer service and avoid all this. 

Nonetheless replacing plus nets poor router with the old hat bt one has done the trick. 66mb over wireless and solid connection thanks @Baldrick1 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@kinger251285 wrote:

I get that these things are purchased in bulk and at different times and could be sat in a warehouse for some time. But it wouldn't take much to push a firmware update for all new connections anyway regardless of whether an issue is showing. That would be what i class as really good customer service and avoid all this. 

Which is exactly the process we put into place as part of a full firmware deployment. We are not at that stage just yet though. The issue has been a fairly complex one.

Anyway, I'm glad you've managed to resolve the problem to your satisfaction and apologies for the hassle.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team