cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greyed out extra port forwrading after adding a device to network

stuartb3502
Dabbler

Greyed out extra port forwrading after adding a device to network

Hi - I am trying out a network camera.  I'm comfortable with port forwarding generally and have all that configured and working.  When I went to the port fowarding page, there were 40 new entries associated to the new camera.  These were greyed out with a X and Tick option next to each one.

I'm not really looking for advice or comments about the camera as I already know that I don't want something that does this sort of thing, but looking for advice on operation of the Hub 2.

I'm curious as to how this works on the Hub2.  I have deleted each greyed out rule one manually (which is quite slow as you need to wait for each deletion to complete before trying the next).

So I'm trying to understand if there's a setting to prevent devices somehow requesting ports (the device works for me with all of these ports closed). Or a way to delete all of these in one go at least.

I also realised I don't understand the Save button at the top of the port forwarding page.  If I delete one of these rules, sometimes they disappear from the list immediately (and there is no Orange - changes need to be saved warning).

Sometimes, they don't delete from the list after saying at the top that they have been.  A Save, exit and return to the list shows the rule as still there.  This applies to active and the greyed out rules.

Thanks

Stuart

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 433

Re: Greyed out extra port forwrading after adding a device to network

I'm not really looking for advice or comments about the camera as I already know that I don't want something that does this sort of thing, but looking for advice on operation of the Hub 2.

Its almost certainly the camera using uPnP to set up the port forwards.

For the Hub 2, I believe (although not sure as I dont use one!)  the uPnP settings are in Advanced Settings, Firewall, Configuration

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stuartb3502
Dabbler

Thanks - figured it was UPnP.  Will read up a bit more on that and disable in the meantime to if anything's affected.  

Stuart

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 87

@stuartb3502 

It maybe possible to disable UPnP within the camera settings.

I believe in most cases a UPnP created firewall rule will  be deleted once the application/device shuts down

You can check the Hub Two >Advanced Setting >Technical log >Event log >You can filter the log file Category for UPNP for related activity details.

HTH

stuartb3502
Dabbler

Thanks - will give that a go.  I have turned off UPnP on the Hub.  I still have five greyed out rules shown (they did not disappear when the device was powered down).  I also cannot delete them (despite the hub saying that they have been deleted).  But the ports are not actually open, so it's a minor annoyance at worst.

Thanks

Stuart

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 87

Just did some experimenting.

With UPnP turned off you can not delete a UPnP added rule <- not sure this is true now

Deleting a rule does not require a save.

Happy to answer any Hub Two questions you may have

Second Edit: It seems turning off UPnP with the rules in place may cause them to be locked, I did manage to delete the rules after enabling UPnP and restarting the application which created them.

Hope that makes sense.

stuartb3502
Dabbler

Thanks Dan. I just tried re-enabling UPnP and deleting the remaining rules. Get “Deleting…” with spinning wheel, then green “Deleted”, but they’re not. Bug I guess.  Not the end of the world.

If it bothers me, I’ll do a factory reset, reconfigure and remember to back up straightaway! 🙂

Will likely take a look at alternative routers as I really want to be able to have separate SSID for guests and this kind of device.

thanks again to all for the suggestions and help.

Stuart