Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green Light of Death?

Rudden91
Hooked

Green Light of Death?

Hi,

Just joined Plusnet from Sky and my service activated on Tuesday.

Set up my new Plusnet One Router and it stayed green for over an hour. I knew I had to wait, but not that long!

So subsequently switched it on and off, after another 10 minutes it finally went blue. We accessed the internet and thought that was the end of the matter. The internet became intermittent (which we knew may be normal for a new connection) but 48 hours since setting it up the router. It started to reset, green, orange, green, orange etc and now it’s just been solid green since.

I tried resetting it (which it seems it will not allow me to do, despite holding the reset button for 30 seconds) and checking the wires but to no avail. Still a solid green light.

I also cannot connect via the wi-if either to access the routers webpage.

Have I been sent a faulty router and do Plusnet need to send me a replacement ASAP?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
dgw1
Dabbler

Re: Green Light of Death?

If you connect to your router via a web page, you should be able to factory reset it from there. If the router is connected via a extension lead/plug you might want to connect it directly into the master socket, possibly using a different filter if you have one. Other things you can do is check you have a dial tone, check for service outages in your area and possibly asking PlusNet if they can check your line for you. Good luck Smiley

Rudden91
Hooked

Hi, 

The problem is that the WiFi is not even coming up as an option, whilst in this constant green light mode. I left it on overnight and still green.

So cannot log into the router hub webpage to perform diagnostics Sad

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Hi @Rudden91, welcome to the forums.

It's possible to reset the router without connecting to it. Just use a paper clip (or similarly small poking object) and press and hold the reset button that way.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/#how-do-i-reset-my-router

If that doesn't work and it still isn't connecting after a factory reset, you may need to connect to the router to check the settings... its possible that your username and password wasn't set up in the router which should be cast to your device upon its first connection. Fingers crossed that the reset will kick start this process!

If you are unable to connect to the wireless, are you able to connect with an ethernet cable using a laptop or desktop computer? If it isn't possible to get close to your router while it is plugged to the phone line (like your desktop PC is on the other side of the house) you could unplug the router and take it to your desktop PC to connect to the router page and have a look at the settings that way.

If these steps don't work, come back here and let us know. Hopefully the above will help Smiley

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Rudden91
Hooked

Hi,

Yeah I tried all of the above. The laptop with the Ethernet cable plugged in does not identify the router and when I tried the IP router login it refuses to connect.

I held down the factory reset button for over 30 seconds and no response. As I have read on other forums this appears to be a faulty router and would like a replacement please Sad
Rudden91
Hooked

@jaread83 wrote:

Hi @Rudden91, welcome to the forums.

It's possible to reset the router without connecting to it. Just use a paper clip (or similarly small poking object) and press and hold the reset button that way.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/#how-do-i-reset-my-router

If that doesn't work and it still isn't connecting after a factory reset, you may need to connect to the router to check the settings... its possible that your username and password wasn't set up in the router which should be cast to your device upon its first connection. Fingers crossed that the reset will kick start this process!

If you are unable to connect to the wireless, are you able to connect with an ethernet cable using a laptop or desktop computer? If it isn't possible to get close to your router while it is plugged to the phone line (like your desktop PC is on the other side of the house) you could unplug the router and take it to your desktop PC to connect to the router page and have a look at the settings that way.

If these steps don't work, come back here and let us know. Hopefully the above will help Smiley

Hello,

Its been over 24 hours since my previous update and not received a response. Router still not functioning and not allowing me to connect to the internet. Getting pretty frustrated now with the current situation. Do not know how many different variations I have to try, but frankly the router is completely unresponsive.

Can Plusnet send me a replacement please?

dgw1
Dabbler

Do you have a spare router you could try instead...

Rudden91
Hooked

Hi,

Yes used my previous router from Sky, but the firmware won’t allow me to change the login details. However, despite the internet being disconnected the router allowed me to login into the Sky IP address and connect wirelessly and through the Ethernet unlike the Plusnet One which won’t do any of that.

dgw1
Dabbler

Is your LAN adapter TCP/IPv4 set up for automatic/DHCP configuration. Have PlusNet offered to replace your router?

Rudden91
Hooked

Plusnet has not offered to replace the router, but I am not sure wether or not posting in this forum was the process to getting this resolved.

Not exactly the best start with Plusnet! Though I accept it cannot be helped on occasions to get shipped a faulty router, I just what this resolved ASAP. How do I get a replacement sent out to me?

dgw1
Dabbler

I think I would give them a ring, and run through the diagnostics (it's a big word at this time of the night) lol. A lot of these forums are customer to customer, and I don't suppose they're about to commit themselves if they can get away with it.Good luck Smiley

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Hi @Rudden91, apologies for not replying, I have been away for a few days. I am not customer service or support staff (I am the web developer for the forums) so I wouldn't be able to help you getting a replacement router as I don't have any access to customer details to do any of that. I just try to help in any way that I can from time to time.

It sounds to me a like faulty router if its not letting you login through ethernet, even after a reset. If you give tech support a call they should be able to help get you a new router after running some tests to confirm that the router needs replacing.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.