cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a TP-Link router - but can't connect to internet

djtearz

Got a TP-Link router - but can't connect to internet

So I got standard broadband and was unhappy with the plusnet single band router. I bought a dual band tp-link wifi router.

I tried to connect to the internet by plugging the ADSL cable into the tp link router but it didnt work.

However it does work when I plug in the ADSL cable into the plusnet router, and then link the plusnet router with the tp-link one via an ethernet cable.

It's quite inconvenient having to keep both devices. Can someone help me?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Got a TP-Link router - but can't connect to internet

The PlusNet router will automatically configure itself with your account name & password. You will need to manually configure these on the TP link router. This https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/ should help you understand what needs to be configured.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@djtearz

Welcome to the forums.

Can you post the exact model number of the TP-Link router so we can check if it has a builtin modem?

If it doesn't have a modem builtin, it will not work by itself but would if you plug it by Ethernet into the Plusnet combined modem/router.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @djtearz

Can you tell me when you last tried connecting with the TP link? 

I ask as I want to see if that tallies with something I can see on our connection logs. 

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team