cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google home setup issues

Timothy
Dabbler

Google home setup issues

So as I was in the States for a week and picked up a Google Home device.

With eager anticipation went through the set up process only to have it fail trying to connect to the wifi. But what was worse was that it crashes the router. I have to do a power cycle to get it working again.

It seems to be an issue for Amazon echo users as well.

So my questions are 

1 How can the router crash with just a device trying to connect to it. Really that's a serious flaw. Not work I can understand but crash it?

2 Why is it no working and what can be done to make it connect?

Thanks

Tim

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Google home setup issues

It may well be trying to use the same address as the router, check the manual to see what its default address is and if they are the same connect it directly to your computer and change its configuration the reconnect it to your router and try again.

Timothy
Dabbler

Not sure what you mean connect it directly to my computer?

How do you do that with a Google Home?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Timothy - Apologies for the late reply, I assumed that this device had a LAN connection and not just the WiFi hence the suggestion of connecting it direct to your PC (with LAN cable). But as this can't be done I'm not to sure now how you can proceed. Maybe try using a support forum for the product if there is one is all I can suggest now.

Timothy
Dabbler

There is the question of why you can crash the router by connecting a wifi device to it? 

So anybody could drive by and crash the plusnet routers by trying to connect to it?

Tim

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timothy - I suggested that they might be using the same IP as for me at least it would explain why the router ‘crashes’. For example if it had a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 and the Home device was expecting to use the same address for itself then when the Home device came online a bun fight would ensue and cause an IP conflict as both devices were trying to use the same address. Think of it as squatters trying to move into an already occupied house, the original occupier (router) would not be very happy to say the least.

Does the Home App allow you to change the configuration as part of the setup process?

I don’t know what router you are using but if you know or you can find out what IP address range it uses for DHCP you could try to manually allocate the Home device with an IP address from the DHCP range using ARP. To do this you’ll need the MAC address of the Home device which is usually found on a sticker on the box or the underside of the device. So from an Administrator Command Prompt enter:

arp -s XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 00-00-00-00-00-00

Where the XXX.* part is the unique IP address you want to assign to the device and the 00- part is the MAC address. Press enter to assign the address and to see if its worked use:

ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Use Ctrl+C to terminate the ping.

I don't know if this is of any use to you to be honest, but until better information comes along it may be worth a try.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I suspect the Home setup works like the Chromecast ( especially since the Chromecast setup app is now called Google Home! ). In which case, when it ( the Home device ) is unconfigured for a wifi network, it sets up it's own wifi hotspot, the setup app then disconnects from your normal wifi and connects directly to the Home device. You then configure it with the details of your wifi (SSID&passowrd) and it then disables it's hotspot, connects to your wifi (using DHCP to get an IP) and the app does the same. You can then communicate normally with the Home device on your network.

Now why that should crash a router I've no idea, certainly I've setup my Chromecast on a number of networks without any problems...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Timothy
Dabbler

"Does the Home App allow you to change the configuration as part of the setup process?"

No it works like a chrome cast. Except when it goes to connect it comes back that its failed to make connection but while it carrys working on as normal the router not only has chrashed requiring a reboot, you have to go back into advanced settings and reconnect the internet.

Thanks

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Does your router have 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi support ? If so , try disabling the 5Ghz wifi whilst you setup the Google Home

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I've just noticed on another thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-router-one-hub-continuously-flashing-orange-gree... that there are problems with the latest Chromecast and certain routers ( the PlusNet Hub one being one! ). Wouldn't be surprised if the same is true of the Google Home, since it's similar.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Yep, my money's on the same thing Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

This is worth repeating

Timothy wrote:

1 How can the router crash with just a device trying to connect to it. Really that's a serious flaw. Not work I can understand but crash it?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Without understanding what's causing the problem, I wouldn't like to lay blame with either the router or the Chromecast software at present.

Relevant to this thread, is the fact that there's no announced release date for Google Home in the UK, so issues with these devices should be few and far between for the time being (I'm aware Chromecast Audio is a much larger issue).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Timothy
Dabbler

Yup I would say its 100% related

I found that when I tried to connect my G Home (same guts as a chromecast I'm told) to a second wireless network I have in my office thats fed via a eithernet cable it chrashed the system and I could not get it to come back up until I had powered down my G home unit.

And it seems that plus net issues a BT hub 5 so all those with BT Hub 5's have the same issue. Its effecting chromecast audios and cast ver3 running new code.

When is plus net going to fix the routers?

Tim 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Timothy wrote:

When is plus net going to fix the routers?

If indeed that's the solution.

Don't get me wrong, it probably is, but I'm yet to see any conclusive evidence to suggest what's causing the router to behave this way. To be honest, I'm somewhat surprised Google pressed ahead with the release when it was known there was such an intrusive problem affecting a piece of kit used by millions of broadband consumers in the UK Undecided

Edit: Looks like Google's latest preview build fixes this problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team