cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nest Wifi - How to set plusnet one hub router to DMZ and disable wireless or the wifi

jdamon1

Google Nest Wifi - How to set plusnet one hub router to DMZ and disable wireless or the wifi

Hi, Does anyone know how to set up Google Nest Wifi with Plusnet (fibre) as the ISP, without having to have a separate modem or any other kit? I am a complete novice and thought it would just be plug and play, but it doesn't seem to be. I can connect everything to the Google Nest, but my Plusnet wifi is still showing, so I'm not sure whether that's correct.

Google Help people said to ask my current provider about setting up DMZ or IP passthrough. 

Do I need to do that? Is that easy enough to do? Any tips gratefully received! Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Google Nest Wifi - How to set plusnet one hub router to DMZ and disable wireless or the wifi

You must have a modem with your Nest kit as it doesn't have a modem built in.
These products are very much designed for the US where most cable companies give you a modem and you sort the rest out.

You PN wifi will be showing unless you go into the router and turn it off, you can try that as a first step if that's your only concern.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
santi
Rising Star

Re: Google Nest Wifi - How to set plusnet one hub router to DMZ and disable wireless or the wifi

If you're using nest mesh points aswell you may be stumped and might be better off using another system.

Ideally your nest WiFi needs to be in bridge mode or access point only mode.. basically meaning the plusnet router does all the work except WiFi.

Nest has poor support for bridge mode where it only allows to do so if you're only using one nest point:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/6277579?hl=en-GB

I had this issue when searching for my WiFi solution, decided on using Amplifi HD with 2 mesh points. Works fine in bridge mode and turning off WiFi on my BT hub 6
jdamon1

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful reply (and sorry for my really slow response). That's very helpful - a shame that Google don't really make all this clear; but now I know, thanks to you.

jdamon1

Thanks santi, too. As with dvorak's post, this is really useful; and again, sorry for the time it has taken me to respond - really appreciate your help.