cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nest WiFi

Steve1001

Google Nest WiFi

Hopefully this is of some help.

I have Plusnet FTTP. Recently I bought the Google Nest WiFi router and point. When I tried to connect I received an error saying VLAN logging is not supported. After a fair bit of searching forums and trial and error I solved this by installing an Ethernet switch between the Modem (box on the wall for FTTP) and the Google Router. The old Plusnet Hub is now removed. All is working well now. I now have two Ethernet switches to allow me to hardwire the TV and a couple of hubs to the google router as it only has one LAN port. I used TP link TL-SG1008D.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
tonyjgreen2-4

Re: Google Nest WiFi

Can I ask which modem you are using, and is it in bridge mode? And when you say that you have hubs connected to the switch, am I correct in thinking you do NOT mean servers, e.g. WD media servers? I cannot get my WD server to work with Nest, but I'm mainly interested in the modem you are using. Thanks for your help.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Steve1001 The OP has FTTP so is connecting to the Openreach ONT (Optical Network Terminator) which is effectively a modem for a FTTP connection so a bit different from a standard FTTC service.

Ryans172

Just bought nest WiFi and I’m having a massive problem with it.

I’ve got a hub one and fibre broadband 

i’ve tried disabling WiFi on the router - then plugging in the nest 

the pppoe sign in page won’t accept my plus net credentials and states it doesn’t like vlan tagging.

any ideas?
could be open to getting a different modem Or ‘switch’ but not it’s not my speciality So any links would be appreciated 

Steve1001

I’m no expert. I’m guessing someone on here will know more about this.

I have FTTP so if you have FTTC it may be different. I put an Ethernet Switch (£13 off Amazon) between my modem and the Nest WiFi. This fixed the problem for me. Once I’d done that the Nest WiFi setup through the google home app without adding or changing credentials. I’ve had no issues since.

https://community.plus.net/t5/media/gallerypage/image-id/25253i192664B4F49EB95A