cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit Router Recommendations

Glenn
Grafter

Gigabit Router Recommendations

Hi all, I've been using the Plusnet Hub 0 2704n, it's rock solid, but sadly lacks Gigabit Ethernet, last week I picked up a BT Smart Hub (Hub 6 I think), it's disconnecting a lot, actually 4 times in the last hour.

I was getting 22Mb on the Hub 0, 21Mb at first on the Smart Hub, now 20Mb, any recommendations for a wireless Gigabit modem/router ?

I'm on ADSL 2+, I might upgrade to fibre down the road.

I don't wanna spend a lot lol, don't mind buying used.

7 REPLIES 7
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Gigabit Router Recommendations

Hi @Glenn, sorry to hear you're having connection isues. Checking your conenction from this side it seems the signal strength set for your connection is lower than we'd expect if for the length of your line. This would explain if the conection has been intermittent recently and the drops here and there we are seeing happening. The good news is it's a fairly easy fix and I've placed an order to up your signal strength which should complete in the next hour. If you then turn the router off and then on again in a hour or later the connection should be back to normal for you. Let us know how it goes.

Glenn
Grafter

Hi BD, can you explain that in layman's terms please ?

In the smart hub I see my noise margin has just went up to 6.1db....til now I've been on 3.1db rock solid, I assumed it went up because of the disconnections, a few of them were me to reset the smart hub via it's pin hole.

My sync speed has dropped to 18Mb, it was happily at 22Mb, can you set my SNR to 3db were it was please ?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @Glenn. The signal strength for your line loooked to have been at 3dB and this being a lower signal strength paired up with the errors and dissconenctions saw when testing hints this could be too low for the length of your line. My adjsutment will have put up the target to the standard 6dB which hopefully should stop the errors effecting the conenction and with it the drops that have been happening. By all means if the issue persists when on this signal strength then there may be a bigger underlying issue however this is the first place we usually start in situations like this. If you could please monitor the conenction moving forwards and by all means if issues do still persist let us know and we can advise on a few internal steps to help rule a few things out.

Glenn
Grafter

@BD  But I've been on 3db snr since the beginning on the plusnet hub 0 2704n with zero issues, problems have only occurred since using the BT Smart Hub, reading around online many people report the same issues with the smart hub.

Seems to me my line can handle 3db snr just fine, it's the smart hub that's the problem.

Glenn
Grafter

I wanted to add that I've recently started using a vpn, the disconnects today happened when the vpn was connected.

I turned off the smart hub firewall in case that was causing it, I use windows firewall.

Wondering if that's part of it or just coincidental.

VPN is Private vpn based in Sweden.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Glenn, by all means if you wish for me to revert you back onto a 3dB signal I'll happily do so however it does seem since I made that adjustment there's been no further drops with the connection as seen here:

It does take 24 hours before we can make these manually cahnges so if you do wish for me to change it back then please let me know and I'll carry this out tomorrow.

As you've had a few additions to your network as of recent (SmartHub / VPN) it may be worth ruling one out at a time to see what's behind the drops you saw if you do wish for the signal to be reverted back.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I was getting 22Mb on the Hub 0, 21Mb at first on the Smart Hub, now 20Mb, any recommendations for a wireless Gigabit modem/router ?

The Zyxel VMG8924-B10A is a good router, you can pick them up pretty cheap on Ebay.  Mine only cost £30 and was an unused one branded John Lewis broadband on the packaging but not locked to any particular provider.   Gigabit LAN ports, AC dual band wireless and ability to support VDSL if you go fibre in the future.  Note the -B10A suffix models have some sort of ADSL filtering that's not present in other variants, so that's the preferred version for best speed/quality on ADSL.   

https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-N-VDSL2-Combo-WAN-Gigabit-IAD-VMG8924-...