cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Bridge Mode / Netgear Orbi

Sarah10
Hooked

Full Bridge Mode / Netgear Orbi

I have a Netgear Orbi with two satellites and I'm getting an intermittent WiFi connection - it's literally on and off every 5 minutes at the moment.  I spoke to Netgear customer support but all they would say is that I needed my ISP to make sure the router was in "full bridge mode".  I don't know what this is or if it's something I can do / check for myself.

Can anyone advise (using the least amount of jargon possible!)?  I have tried to search online but it says things like "When the ISP requires multiple VLAN Tags use Full Bridge Mode" and I don't understand what that means.

Thanks in advance. Smiley

7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Full Bridge Mode / Netgear Orbi

Assuming you are using a Plusnet Hub One router, you cannot put it into bridge mode as it's not a feature that is supported.

You would need to configured the Orbi in AP (access point) mode and disable the Wi-Fi on the Hub One. Have you done both of these things?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Sarah10 If you have a PlusNet supplied router, then it's not possible to set it in bridge mode.

What you need to do is set the Netgear Orbi in Access Point mode instead , see here https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

edit: Bob types faster than me and good shout about disabling the wifi on the hub one

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sarah10
Hooked

I have configured the Orbi in AP mode but I don't know how to disable the WiFi?

How do I know if it's a Hub One router?  It just says Plusnet on it - we're new customers though so presumably it is the latest model but I'm not sure.

IMG_20201015_171123.jpg

Sarah10
Hooked

Sorry I should have said, the Orbi was already configured in AP mode - I read that instruction somewhere when I first set it up, so that cannot be the solution to my problem (also annoying that the Netgear support made no mention of it!) but yes, please help with how to disable the WiFi if you think that's whats causing it.

Thank you both!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Sarah10 Is there a button at the side of the Wi-Fi light ? If so, press it until that light goes out - one press should be enough.

John
Sarah10
Hooked

Ah-hah! Yes there is, and I have pressed it.

Thanks so much for you help and please keep your fingers crossed for me...  Hopefully I won't be back!

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from fibre to my router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'