Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fritzbox 7530

grandad
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Fritzbox 7530

once again, thanks for responses to my previous post which related to wiring issues. Now resolved - much appreciated.

My new router has never been used and came in sealed packaging. Supplied to a Zen customer, but they had no use for it.

On the underside of the router it says “edition Zen Internet”.

I’ve had a quick look at the router and managed to get it to talk to Plusnet via the “wizard” setup routine. 

In reading various articles (previous threads/questions) I’ve seen several mentions that under internet settings, the tick box marked “use VLAN for internet access” needs to be ticked and 101 used. My router is Connecting to Plusnet without this - showing the usual PPOE, VPI 1, VC1 32.

A couple of questions if I may;

1) is the requirement to use “VLAN” for connecting a Fritzbox to Plusnet still current? If yes, can I still ignore is as my router seems to be connecting without it?

2) As the router is marked for “Zen Internet”, but is brand new, are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing a factory reset before going live? Is it likely that the router has been specially configured for Zen and includes settings either for Zen or UK ISPs in general? If I factory reset, are there are any settings in particular I should pay attention to/re-enable?

Thanks for any help. 

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Fritzbox 7530

@grandad 

The official settings are here:  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

When you say that it is talking to Plusnet, what do you mean? Have you got full internet access? If you select this link does it record your ISP as Plusnet or, more likely BT?   https://www.whatismyip.com/  Ignore the location, this will probably be garbage.  It tells me that I am located on the Norfolk/Suffolk border, not the Midlands. If it comes back as Zen then I would disconnect and change the settings.

If you are not getting full Internet access then the chances are that you are synchronising with your local fibre cabinet but not getting through Plusnet's servers. If it is working fully and you're happy with it then if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

grandad
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

Thank you for the information.

I tried the router a couple of days ago and it seemed to connect To Plusnet without an issue. but I disconnected and reconnected my Plusnet hub as I wanted more time to go through the various screens on the Fritzbox so that I could fully understand it before going “live”

I will have a look through those links. I’m planning to go live with the new router tomorrow, all being well.

Madhatter007
Grafter

@grandad, how did you get in with the router?
grandad
Grafter

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I don't log in to the community very often.

Not a lot to say about the Fritzbox, other than it works fine. I brought it into use as soon as I'd purchased it and located it in exactly the same place as the old Plusnet hub. Wireless coverage seems a little better around the house.

Although I need to check "drop outs", I haven't noticed anything of any significance. My broadband problems are to do with Openreach & external cabling, not my router.

I haven't used any of the inbuilt telephony features as we try to avoid using the landline.

One of my main reasons for getting the Fritzbox was the guest network feature.

Regards

Madhatter007
Grafter

Ended up buying one, seems decent enough kit.

Did you have to put in VLAN settings as wouldn't work without for me.
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi

How're you finding the Fritzbox? 

Our problems are to do with Openreach and external cabling. In my local exchange, which is Dalkeith, they only tell everyone lies that it's the router and all that nonsense, whereas effectively, they're at full capacity and the quality of their cabling is poor (jelly crimps being a problem in our case). The sooner Virgin Media starts putting cables around here the better.

Did you get anywhere with Openreach? 

grandad
Grafter

Hi

Sorry for delay in replying but don't log on here often.

The Fritzbox has been fine but I must stress that I use no telephony features and only use the router in a straightforward way.

The main reason for buying this model was the ability to set up a guest network which has been invaluable, especially when someone from outside of my family wants to log on!

I won't go into my issues in detail but suffice to say that none of them are anything to do with the Fritzbox as far as I know.

We have lived in this house 3 years. In that time, we have had Openreach/BT engineers called out no less than 7 times and it could be over 10. They've been up telegraph poles, used 'radar scanning' kit, dug up the pavement and probably lots of other things I don't even know about. And I've heard every reason under the sun for the ... performance of our broadband.

If it wasn't for the fact that Virgin haven't cabled our area, then I would have kicked this into touch months ago.

As it is, we go a few months - sometimes - trouble free and then it starts all over again.

I shout a bit and lose my rag until it's fixed and then settle down until it happens all over again.