cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free replacement router?

leemarmara

Free replacement router?

I've been with Plusnet for a number of years but I think my original router is giving up.  Recently it keeps dropping out (all lights out) and returning with either just the power light green or sometimes red.  I've switched the power point and verified that the power is ok.

Once it has done this the internet connection is down and won't recover.  If I switch the router off and on again then it will work again.  However, later (sometimes just a few minutes) it will drop out again.

If this is an issue with the actual router do I get a replacement free of charge?

9 REPLIES 9
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Free replacement router?

I think PlusNet can supply you a new one, but you have to pay postage - £6.99.

Could be wrong, and being Sunday I guess less members of staff will be around today, but hopefully they can pick this thread up.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

You will probably find that you will only get a 'free' one if you sign up for a new contract. Unless you can get one for the cost of P&P and are happy starting a new contract you would be far better off getting one off Ebay of better performance and for less money than buying from PN. The only downside is that it will not auto configure but that shouldn't be an issue as there's plenty of help on here regarding setting it up.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

leemarmara

Thanks.  Think I'll bite the bullet and just buy a new (better) router as you suggest.

Baldrick1

I've recently bought a BT Home Hub 6 (their latest smart hub) off Ebay for £40. So far this is working very well.

Just make sure that it is the FTTC model, which has four yellow LAN connectors. I understand that there is also a FTTP model that has a red sticker over one of the LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Baldrick1 wrote:

You will probably find that you will only get a 'free' one if you sign up for a new contract. Unless you can get one for the cost of P&P and are happy starting a new contract you would be far better off getting one off Ebay of better performance and for less money than buying from PN. The only downside is that it will not auto configure but that shouldn't be an issue as there's plenty of help on here regarding setting it up.

One does not have to sign up to a new contract as such, but the replacement is free, unless the customer leaves within 12 months. At least that's how it was.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes I understood that's know it used to work. Maybe someone can confirm?

It used to be the case where it didn't involve a new contract but if you cancelled within (I guess within a year), you had to pay for the hardware.

This was a while ago, so it may have changed.

Baldrick1

How do you link to other posts on this forum? Anyway, a quote from Gandalf two weeks ago. You will find the complete thread under Broadband\New Router two weeks ago in response to a query as to how to get a new ADSL (not fibre) router. Hub ones for fibre are about £100 from PN.

Hello there.

We'd generally charge £40 + the postage fee of £6.99. However, I'd recommend contacting our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 [Selecting Option 1, then Option 2] as they may have other options for you.

As I type this, there is no wait time to get through to them and they are here until 8pm.

Anoush

Perhaps Anoush would like to comment?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Moderator and Customer

Mav
Fixes: 515

@Baldrick1

If you find the post you wish to link to you can right click on Message number (usually in red) and select Copy Link Location.

You can either simply paste this into your post or you can click on the Insert/Edit Link icon and paste the link there and add some text which, when displayed, will be underlined and click-able.

Hope that helps.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1

@Mav Thanks

Moderator and Customer