cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix ip addresses for units on my LAN

IanmacPN
Dabbler

Fix ip addresses for units on my LAN

Ive spent hours trying to find help from existing posts but cant really answer my question.

I have a 2407n router. I have a LAN with 2 pc's, one NAS and 2 DNLA Audio Renders plus wi Fi to various mobile devices ( ipad + iphones)

To control the audio renderers remotely I am using JRiver Remote on a Ipad and ipod connected to the LAN via Wi Fi.

This connection talks to the JRiver main programme on my NAS which sends the appropriate music files to the renderers.

The ip addresses for the renderers is assigned automatically by the Router and each renderer is identified by the last digit of the assigned ip address. I have to set up JRiver Remote with the renderer ip address to enable comunication with the Main J River programme on my NAS. It all works fine until I get a mains drop out or have to reset my router. I have to find the new ip addresses asigned to the renderers then reprogramme JRiver Remote on my  i pod /pad.

I have been trying to see if the router can be set to provide fixed ip addresses to my AudioRenderers to avoid this frequent reprogramming of my system.

I got as far as logging into 192.168.1.254/expert_user.html but could not find a list of the dynamic ip addresses being used by the router and the associated name of the device an address was associated with.

Im not a PC expert and reluctant to delve into areas of the router set up I dont understand

can anyone help please

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Fix ip addresses for units on my LAN

I don’t use a 2704n but I understand that you go into the router expert user page and reduce the range of dhcp addresses. This frees up the others to use as fixed addresses.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

IanmacPN
Dabbler

I have been to the router expert page and it was not obvious to me as to how alter the status or otherwise of the ip addresses.

Are dhcp addresses the same as ip.

I was expecting to find a list of what ip addresses the router was using and what devices were allocated to these addresses by the router then some means of selecting a device and fixing its ip address

Many thanks

Baldrick1

I have dug my old 2704n router out of my junk box to have a look.

What you do is log into the router by entering the following into your browser address box: http:/192.168.1.254/expert_user.html

Once logged in go to Advanced Settings/LAN and change the IP Start Address to say 192.168.1.64. This should  give you 63 fixed IP addresses to play with - see below for what I get:

Sagecom.png

Let us know how you get on. I will return my 2704 to whence it came!

Moderator and Customer

IanmacPN
Dabbler

Thanks for going to so much trouble,

so the router will use addresses after 192.168.1.64 for allocation to my mobile devices and anything else connected to my LAN or Wi Fi asking for an IP address. Addresses up to .64 I can assign to fixed installations eg PC's NAS and my Music Renderers.

I presume if I click ip address> add entries I get to my expected list and can select from there?

Im busy tonight but will try first thing to morrow.

Baldrick1

@IanmacPN wrote:

Thanks for going to so much trouble,

so the router will use addresses after 192.168.1.64 for allocation to my mobile devices and anything else connected to my LAN or Wi Fi asking for an IP address. Addresses up to .64 I can assign to fixed installations eg PC's NAS and my Music Renderers.

That's correct.

I presume if I click ip address> add entries I get to my expected list and can select from there?

You will have to read the device manuals to find out how to allocate the address. I don't know what this list is that you're referring to. On the limited number of devices I have set up in the past the manual has given a default IP address. What I did was connect the device directly to a computer with an Ethernet cable (ignore connecting to the router at this stage) and accessed the device using the default IP address. This gave me access to the device admin settings where I changed the IP address to one within my fixed range, for example, 192.168.1.50. 

Note that as soon as you do this you lose contact with the device. Don't panic, you haven't borked it. To reestablish contact you need to log in with the new IP address. You can now do this via your router.

Moderator and Customer