Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update please

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Firmware update please

Hi there.

My Plusnet Hub One Router is on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 18/02/19 but I've been finding my Pixel 3 phone drops out quite frequently. I'm having to reboot my router a number of times a week.

I understand there's a beta version of the firmware and I was wondering whether this might help me. I don't want to make matters worse but would like to see if things could improve. Is there a way of rolling back if necessary?

I also have the following problem and I wonder whether this is also due to my router or something else.

I have a WD My Cloud drive attached to the router via ethernet and then my PC is connected to the router via ethernet. I have drive letters mapped to the My Cloud drive but often, when I start up my PC, I find the My Cloud does not connect. When I click on the drive letter I get:

"The local device name is already in use."

Another reboot of the computer often means the My Cloud drive will connect. For information, I have the My Cloud drive set up with a static IP in the router settings.

Annie
4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Firmware update please

@Annie wrote:

I have a WD My Cloud drive attached to the router via ethernet and then my PC is connected to the router via ethernet. I have drive letters mapped to the My Cloud drive but often, when I start up my PC, I find the My Cloud does not connect. When I click on the drive letter I get:

"The local device name is already in use."

Another reboot of the computer often means the My Cloud drive will connect. For information, I have the My Cloud drive set up with a static IP in the router settings.

Setting a fixed IP address this way is not a good idea, see  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Plusnet-Hub-One-Edit-delete-static-IP-addresses/m-p/1783762#... and the following posts in that thread.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Annie
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 I have now set the static IP on the WD My Cloud drive. I think when I first set it up that I couldn't access such a high IP address (192.168.1.250) originally which is why I did it on the router but I can't be certain of that now as it was a couple of years ago. I will monitor how I get on with connecting at startup to see if things improve although, it has to be said that when I was having trouble accessing the drive on my PC I was able to access it using the relevant app on my Android phone.

I have also split the 2.4 and 5GHz networks to see whether this will improve my phone dropping out of wi-fi.

Annie
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Annie 

You have set it to an address in the DHCP range. This could cause you issues so you either need to go into your hub network settings and select 'Always use this IP address for this device' or change it to one in the reserved fixed address range, that is, 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.63

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Annie
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 Thanks for your help. I did get further problems with my wifi dropping out on my phone and then the My Cloud drive not working.

After changing the IP address to 192.168.1.40 in the WD My Cloud drive dashboard I rebooted the My Cloud drive and the router and my PC and I got a network error. I logged back into the router and saw the Cloud drive had reverted to 192.168.1.250 which would explain the issue. It had also defaulted back to 'Always use this IP address' even though I'd saved it to No. Then as I was typing this I noticed it had changed back to 192.168.1.40 all by itself. Very odd.

Anyway, after a further reboot of my PC my mapped drive letters on the My Cloud drive wouldn't work so I've remapped them and hopefully, this has sorted out the problem.

Many thanks once again.

Annie