cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware rollback

SteveH60

Firmware rollback

@bobpullen, I'm wondering if you can help.

I have read with interest the thread here. I have been experiencing very similar problems to those described by Xemic for the past six weeks or so, with absolutely no help from your customer services people. I use the supplied hub one with Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.1.1 Last updated 26/09/18.

For practical reasons, I connect my router to an extension. From there, a PC, Sky+ box and TV are wired and everything else connects via WiFi. When the router was in the extension, with wired devices, it would intermittently reboot. It could sometimes be up for hours and other times might last less than five minutes. I tried the router in the master socket, to eliminate my internal cabling as the cause, which meant everything that could was connecting over WiFi. In this case, I would lose internet access and devices would not even show the router as existing. The blue light would still be showing as if all was well but the only fix was to hit the reset button. Again, things would then be good for anything from a couple of minutes up to a few hours.

As there was no improvement, I went back to using the extension, mainly so I could try to make use of Sky on demand services. At this point, it went back to the router constantly rebooting itself (bit of a bonus as i didn't have to keep getting up and going into the kitchen to reset, just wait for it to come back on).

About a week and a half ago, I plugged the router into the test socket, at the behest of one of your customer services team and back we went to devices losing the router altogether until the reset button was pressed. 

On Monday, I started, unnecessarily, spending money on a new cable to connect the router and micro-filters to try to eliminate these as a cause, rather than going down your customer services preferred route of having an engineer visit so i could be hit with an exorbitant charge when they didn't find anything wrong.

Just shy of ordering a replacement router from the bay, as this was about the only thing left to eliminate, I stumbled on the thread linked above. As it happens, the wife has an old kindle Fire, which coincidentally was switched off, which probably allowed me to read all eight pages of that thread uninterrupted.

Tuesday morning, after no apparent overnight problems, I lost WiFi again as soon as the wife turned her Kindle on and again about two minutes after resetting the router. She has now gone away with work for a couple of days and since her Kindle went out of range, I haven't noticed any issues. I was even able to move the router back to its usual place in the extension and last night managed to watch something on Netflix, for which I'm paying a monthly fee but haven't been able to use for about six weeks.

In light of your findings on the other thread, would you be able to roll my firmware back to the previous, stable version to see if this fixes the problem? I appreciate your system will at some point want to push the new version again in the future but by then hopefully Santa will have delivered her indoors a new Kindle.

Sorry for the essay but I thought it best to provide as much info as I have available.

Cheers

Steve

6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Firmware rollback

Hi Steve.

I'm sorry for the issues you're experiencing with the router when a Kindle is connected.

In case Bob doesn't see this thread (I think he gets a lot of notifications!), I'm happy to raise this request formally to Bob/our products team.

While we should be able to roll you back to the previous firmware version, we could instead upgrade you to an engineering build that's currently in testing, both of which should fix this issue.

Let me know if you'd like an older one or to try out the brand new one.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SteveH60

Hi @Gandalf

Thanks for getting back to me. Don't mind trying the engineering build. I've got nothing important going on, so feel free to push the upgrade whenever suits you. The wife is away until Friday (peace and quiet) so probably be early next week before I can let you know if it has fixed the problem. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Steve.

Don't mind trying the engineering build. I've got nothing important going on, so feel free to push the upgrade whenever suits you.

I've raised the request with our products team to downgrade or upgrade the firmware in your router, I'll let them decide which one is best to move you to. Let us know how things look over the next few days next week once your wife is back.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just to update you here. We're currently experiencing an issue with the hardware management platform, which we use to push a firmware update out. In the meantime, Bob's said to me that disabling 5 GHz WiFi frequency in your router settings should be a temporary workaround. Let us know how things look towards the end of the week.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SteveH60

Thanks for that @Gandalf. However, it would appear the firmware was updated on Thursday afternoon and since then.the router has been running continuously. This includes quite a bit of use of the wife's Kindle, which suggests the update has fixed this particular problem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Oh OK cool. Looks like it may have been done automatically.

Glad to hear that the issue has been fixed though with the new firmware. Thumbs_Up

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet